1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Accessing bad HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KGery, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KGery

KGery Thread Starter

I have a WD HDD that is definitely damaged although I'm not sure how much. It prevents the computer from booting if I try to add it as a secondary HDD, same results if it's the only HDD in there. The BIOS can't recognize it, but I assume it can see it as instead of [None] it shows a blank line in list view. Selecting auto detection just hangs/freezes the BIOS menu.
    No clicking sound or anything different than the other working HDD.
    So, is it dead for good or there is something else I could try?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the bios does not ID the drive, there is not much you can do other than ship the drive to a shop that does data recovery. A data recovery shop can disassemble the drive and read the platters.
    If you decide to do this, get an estimate first. Data recovery is NOT cheap. A very basic recovery using software [which cannot be done with a drive that is not detected] runs $125 or so plus the cost of whatever media to copy the data. Reading platters goes WAY up from there.

3. KGery

KGery Thread Starter

I see. It's just an old HDD i had as a kid so i doubt it has any files I might need now, years later so I'm not considering data recovery. Thank you for the explanation!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!