Accessing desktop hard drive through a laptop?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheFamilyGuy

My external hard drive is not being recognized by Windows for whatever reason, so I need some extra space until I figure out how to fix that. My old desktop (Compaq Presario 5000) has a 20gb hard drive and I need to know if there is anyway to access it's hard drive through my laptop. Is there a way to connect them with USB or anything along those lines? I just need to be able to take stuff from my laptop's hard drive and transfer it to my desktop directly, without disks or anything.

TheFamilyGuy said:
My external hard drive is not being recognized by Windows for whatever reason, so I need some extra space until I figure out how to fix that. My old desktop (Compaq Presario 5000) has a 20gb hard drive and I need to know if there is anyway to access it's hard drive through my laptop. Is there a way to connect them with USB or anything along those lines? I just need to be able to take stuff from my laptop's hard drive and transfer it to my desktop directly, without disks or anything.
There is a converter connector you can get. google it. it's called a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch HDD converter.

cheers,

roger

G'day TheFamilyGuy, just for interest is your hard drive being detected in BIOS, is it a removeable traytype or a USB kind?
It is possible you may have a USB problem.
One workaround may be using a free live linux program like "simply Mepis" that runs from a Ramdrive and detects virtually everything, you would be able to use "control+drag and drop method to transfer files to anywhere without any extra stuff. (provided that your external hard drive is operational)
The linux program is gone when you switch off leaving no remnants.
Cheers, qldit.

Trebuchet said:
There is a converter connector you can get. google it. it's called a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch HDD converter.

cheers,

roger
That's if you want to use a laptop hard disk in a desktop, they want to go the other way around. I would suggest getting an external powered USB 3.5" hard disk enclosure.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online