1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing documents and settings folder from an old HD on a new comp???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Abb, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abb

Abb Thread Starter

Hi,

My mother board fried(or something) on my old computer so I purchased a new one. There were files on my old hard drive I need on my new computer so I attempted to install it on my new computer as a slave drive. Problems arose, most likely because they both have an OS, or some other unknown reason. I am a layman when it comes to computer so I couldn't figure out how to install it properly. I came to a temporary solution though, when I used the IDE cables from the CD-ROM drive in order to hook up my old hard drive. I am now able to access the information on my old hard drive on my new comp - EXCEPT for my old user name in the docs and settings folder. I imagine it's because I was the administrator of the computer, because I can access the other users desktop folder without a hitch on my old hard drive.

I just need to access the folders on the desktop on my old drive - it keeps telling me "access denied".

There are two potential ways I can do this, I guess.

A:Figure out how to boot my computer successfully with the old drive.

B: Since my new drive boots up with no problems, figure out how to access my old drives docs and settings folder when it's on the slave drive.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Any input on either A or B would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

2. Lance1

Lance1

You need to Take Ownership of the folder. go to the link to read how.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice