Accessing domain-joined Windows 7 laptop from XP workgroup PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Unibomber

Hello,

I am using a domain-joined laptop with Windows 7 Professional at work. Now I am trying to integrate it into my home network (which consists mainly of a Windows XP Professional SP3 desktop).
After enabling a guest account and sharing on the WinXP machine, I am able to access shared folders on the WinXP desktop from the Win7 laptop (which is not too bad).

However, I was not able to access shared folders on the Win7 laptop from the WinXP PC, not even after enabling all advanced sharing features and disabling the firewall. Both using the computer name \\HAL and the IP address \\192.168.0.100 gives me a "Windows cannot find..." error. Pinging the Win7 laptop works though.

I wouldn't like to leave the domain to join the local workgroup and am not desperate enough for a dual boot installation or other major work-arounds I have come across (especially since sharing the other way around works). But maybe some of you guys have a suggestion what else I could try.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online