Accessing everyone's Outlook

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nob

I work in a small office with 5 users connected to a LAN. We basically have one computer that is connected to the internet via DSL and all other users are configured to get our web through that machine, We also save our work etc on the same machine via the LAN.

My question is that we want to set up our network so as all users can have access to each others Outlook for the purpose of seeing each others daily program and make appointments etc. I realise to set that up is probably too lengthy to detail in this forum but...

I really just want to know if we need any special additionalsoftware (eg Microsoft Exchange) to set this up. Do we need any additional hardware. We all have standard XP and i was hoping we could set this up with just the s/ware and h/ware we have. Am i correct or naively misguided?

Are there any recommended websites that may help with advice. (in addition to this one of course!)

Thanx as always

There is only one way you can go about this. Outlook uses .pst files that should be saved to your server. The problem is that only 1 user can access a specific .pst file at the same time. The other alternative is to install an Exchange server and host your own email. Then multiple users can view the same email account at the same time. I do have some questions for you though:

1) Is the computer that the host machines receive their Intenet connection on on your network a server??

2) Are you running ICS on that machine? Unless it's a Proxy Server (if that's what you meant) there are much more efficient ways of providing Intenet access to your users.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Sounds like you will need an Exchange server and a router. I wouldn't expose my company's data like that.

If all you want to view is a each other's calendars, there are less expensive and complicated solutions than an Exchange server.

There is software like MDaemon that can work with your current PST files and make them available for viewing.

You can also use a web based calendaring system that can be viewed on or off site.

I'm sure there are others but both these I've used and are comparatively easy to set up and not that expensive.

Much cheaper than exchange is to use Kerio mailserver and IMAP4 to create public folders, if you don't want / need to host your own domain, set up your external mail to forward to the public IP of your mailserver, you can still send locally via SMTP without a domain, but you'll need to 'spoof' the address so that replies go to your external mail provider
Cheers,
10forcash

Another alternative is a different contact management system, such as Symantec ACT!. This is a database run program where each user can have there own seperate calendar, contacts etc and everybody can access each others information at the same time.

http://www.act.com

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online