1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing external database from Access database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Sharon-Ley, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sharon-Ley

Sharon-Ley Thread Starter

Hi,
    I don't support Access, nor have I been trained in it, but I've been asked if I can help in this problem.
    An Access database connects externally to a SQLServer database at login time for the application. How do I find which external database they are connecting to? I know that there is a way to go behind the forms to see the source code, but I cant remember how to do this.
    I cannot find an obvious User/System file dsn on the PC to give me a clue.
    Thanks in advance

2. Sponsor

3. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Sharon-Ley, welcome to the Forum.
    What version of Access are you working with?
    The database may be "Linked" to the SQL database or it may use a VBA Connection.

4. draceplace

draceplace

To go along with OBP suggestions...Control panel ODBC connection is another place to look.

5. Sharon-Ley

Hi,
    It is Access 2003. There are no ODBC connections.
    What I have is a NAL. What I've found out since is the NAL has a copy(frontend template) of the database, and it is brought down to the clients desktop. This has a connection somehow to the master database which is sqlserver. I have no method to get behind the scenes due to the NAL, and even when I look at the NAL source I still cant get behind the scenes.
    The customer can only run this report once a week, so being easter it will be 2 weeks time before it is run again.
    The NAL works for one user who is currently on leave, the other people dont have a way to run the report themselves due to privledge problems (advised from vendor).

I know its complicated, but hoping someone can help me.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I think you should be able to press ALT + F11 in Access to open the VBA editor. In the project explorer window on the left hand side you will see all the project components (forms, modules, classes, etc.)

Right click each form and/or code modules and choose the option to "View Code" and look for the connection string in there. If there is no ODBC connections set up on the PC then more than likely the connection is being made programatically through VBA.

Rollin

7. Sharon-Ley

Hi,
    I've used the Shift down while opening database to get to source code. I've found db connections relating to the tables, but havent been able to find them in relation to a form for login purposes yet.
    Using VBA Editor, I've found connections again, but not when you login to the front end.

Cheers

8. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

It sounds like the Vendor set up Access User Level Security, in which case someone should have administration rights to the security settings.
    This would allow you to set up other user(s) to run the report.

9. Sharon-Ley

Hi OBP,
    Yes, I think you are right. I've given them all the access I can, if it fails again its in the application itself.
    Thanks for the input.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!