1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing files from another OS on another partition.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Assass1n, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Assass1n

Assass1n Thread Starter

How can I access my files from Windows XP professional from drive D? I want to listen to my music and play my games but it won't work. I get a error saying that I don't have to permisson to access the files but I already set the "Owner" to my vista account! PLZ HELP!

2. Tha*Lunat!k

Tha*Lunat!k

You could either share the folder from within XP or change permissions on the files (though this may prevent access from within XP, it's really screwy).

What I did to avoid all this was to create Vista using the same username as I had for XP.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can take ownership of the files and view them. Any game you installed in xp will need to be installed in vista for you to play.

Note if these files / folders were encrypted, you will need to import the cert for the files.

To take ownership of a file in vista;

Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

Click Edit. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.

If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Click OK.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!