1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing files on XP through a 98SE computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DumbComputer, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DumbComputer

DumbComputer Thread Starter

I recently purchased a new XP computer. I shared all user document folders on the 98 computer and transfered them all to the XP computer. I've shared the user document folders on the XP, but I keep getting messages 'Access is denied' when trying to open these folders on the 98 computer.

What I'm trying to do is set the 'My Documents' target on the 98 computer to the user 'My Documents' folders on the XP, but if I can't even open the folders via Network Neighbourhood, then I can't do that. So... help me, please. :)

By the way, I've done this on a network at my father's house, so I assume there is some little setting I keep overlooking.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably a firewall on the XP computer. If you enabled file and printer sharing the XP firewall should be properly configured. If you have any 3rd party firewall, it has to be configured to allow access from the 98, or else uninstall it.

3. DumbComputer

'File and Printer Sharing' is checked off under the 'Exceptions' tab in the 'Windows Firewall' window. 'Remote Desktop' is the only thing that is unchecked.

As far as I know, there is no other firewall.

4. DumbComputer

I just tried disabling the firewall and it did not fix anything.

But I also found out that I can browse the XP "Shared Documents" folder on the 98 computer, but cannot browse the 2 user "My Documents" folders. I also tried switching from 'limited account' to 'computer admin,' and they still would not share properly.

I believe it's a setting I chose when I first installed XP that is causing this problem, but I don't know where I can make changes to said setting.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to check the sharing properties of those folders and uncheck the "Make folder private" setting.

6. Erickat

Erickat

Part of the problem could be that the WIN98SE machine cannot read nor recognize NTFS formatted drives (the default file system for Win XP). There is no true fix for this. It is a OS incompatiblity.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is a non-issue for networked drives. Windows 98 can network and access any filesystem native to the serving computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice