1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing Hotmail with outlook 2000

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by minus0, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. minus0

minus0 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am currently using outlook express for my emails. OE lets me check my hotmail account perfectly but doesnt have an option to recall a sent message(not that i am aware of) so i thought i would switch over to Outlook 2000. Whats happening with Outlook is when i try to access my hotmail account Outlook opens up IE. My question is - is there any way i can access my hotmail emails without thru Outlook 2000 without having to open up the browser?

Thanks in advance

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

minus0 said ...

:confused: I am not able to understand your question. What do you mean by "recall a sent message"? Do you synchronise your Sent Items folder? Have you checked it there?

I have been using OE with my hotmail account without any problem whatsoever!!

3. minus0

minus0 Thread Starter

some times you click on send and then realize you should have added some more or you sent it to the wrong person - for this Outlook 2000 offers a solution by allowing you to RECALL THE SENT MESSAGE which Outlook express doesn't.

Hope this clarifies. Also would you be knowing how to set up Outlook 2000 for accessing hotmail emails? I am able to do this using OE but not with Outlook 2000.

Thanks for your help

4. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Oh!! That feature is new to me. I use OE so didn't know about the "Recall" feature. You are right, OE doesn't have that feature.

I don't use Outlook at all. But I have Outlook 2000. I was surprised to see that it didn't allow me to setup hotmail there. I guess you will have to use OE. In OE in Account Settings, there is a drop down box containing account type and it has three option - POP3, IMAP and HTTP. For hotmail accounts, HTTP is the right choice and it is selected by default.

But in Outlook 2000, that options is missing. So I guess it is not possible to use Outlook with Hotmail. You will have to stick with OE.

Or wait for some more knowledgeable member of TSG and may be a small update will do the trick.

I tried a search at support.microsoft.com but there was a problem with my connection. So it kept giving me error. Why don't you try that?

5. dukster

dukster

I surfed aplenty to find a solution to this and finally settled on izymail -- it's working great and is inexpensive. They give a thirty day trial.

I'm using the downloaded version and IMAP synchronization. IMAP has some peculiarities, like you have to click the folders to force a download from time to time, but it works and I have all my hotmail in Outlook (no more program switching).

Haven't tried to recall a message with it yet, however.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice