Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Accessing Microsoft Word and Excel Documents after update

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cwwozniak 
#1 ·
After a computer update I cannot seem to access and files on my one drive for Excel and Word files. It says cannot access file.

#2 ·
Hi David2369, and welcome to TSG.

Can you please give us some more details?

What operating system are you running?

What version of MS-Office are you using?

Was it an update to Windows and/or Office?

When you say "on my one drive" do you mean Microsoft's OneDrive cloud storage service? If not, is it a hard drive in your computer, a USB connected drive, or a network drive on a LAN?

How are you attempting to open the files? From recent documents in the Excel or Word apps or by double-clicking on the files in Windows File Explorer?

#3 ·
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I am running Windows Version 10 as an operating system and it is MS Office 2016.

I believe it was a MS Office update as the logos and general view of office has changed since last night.

My documents are stored in my documents on my C drive and also simultaneously on my One Drive as well which is cloud based. If i try and access documents through the C drive or the One Drive access I am getting a 'sorry we couldn't open your document message and if I click ok on that it says cannot access file for one of the following reasons- 1) it doesn't exist, 2) the file is being used by another programme, or 3) the workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open work book.

If i go through the recently opened documents tab for a document it is opening a read only document and states work book is locked for editing by another user- I am the only person on this machine as it is a standalone laptop

Kind regards

David

#4 ·
First of all Windows 10 does NOT use the "My Documents" folder but the "Documents" folder user your user name.

Open Word and find what version you do have and post back with that information?

Did your Windows 10 come with your machine or did you upgrade to it?
If upgraded how did you get the copy that you have installed?

#6 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.