1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing my laptops HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by foofong1, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foofong1

foofong1 Thread Starter

Ok, i bought a laptop some times ago, to take with me on the move. However, it kind of...died.... Anyway, later i bought a new desktop computer and have been happy with it ever since.

A few days ago I found the warranty for my laptop, and it expires in a few days - which means i still have time to have it repaired free of charge!
    My problem is that i have sensative material on my laptop, mostly personal files including a regular diary i used to keep. I really don't want these tech people accessing my documents and reading through this kind of thing.... it makes me feel a bit sick to think they could go through my documents and read my diary and look through hundreds of pictures of me and friends.... :(

I was hoping there was a way for me to access my computers hard drive and documents?
    I can't turn on my laptop, and i think the problem is either the charger or the battery, but either way i want to wipe the files from my laptop before i take it to them, and afterwards i will be giving my laptop to someone else.

Any help...please? This has really got me a bit flustered.
    A friend told me 'It's nothing they haven't seen before' but i think that's hardly the point, why would i want people i don't know finding out intimate details about my personal life?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Remove the hard drive from the Laptop before shipping it off for repairs

Make and Model of Laptop?

3. foofong1

foofong1 Thread Starter

acer aspire 5610z

And would that void the warranty though?

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

5. foofong1

foofong1 Thread Starter

I bought it from Curry's, under some 3 year warranty i think.... we don't have the actual original warranty, it's this number that you use to prove it's still under warranty or something.... anyway, i don't want to void the warranty by opening it up.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Your concerns may not really be valid. People who work on computers generally are singularly uninterested in the personal contents thereof. They are not third-graders, and they don't even have the time, working by the hour as they do and with predetermined time-frames within which to accomplish particular tasks, to snoop in others' documents.

But, if you want to remove the docs anyway, and you have an XP CD, download UBCD4Win, install it on another computer, and create the boot CD. The other machine does not have to be XP. Boot up with it to an XP desktop that will run from the CD and transfer your files.

Of course, recovery software can still make all those documents available to anyone wishing to see them. Only special erasure tools can delete them completely.

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Actually it happens more than you think, Best Buy has been nailed so many times for this it is not funny.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/894027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice