1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing Network folders on a windows XP machine

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tben, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tben

tben Thread Starter

Good Day everyone,
    I would just like to ask if any of you every met with strange problems with win XP machine over ethernet networks which are primary running on win 2000 machines

It seems that some of my colleagues were having problems connecting to certain network folders after login into our domain for sometimes.

I noticed that this problem only occurs when the user is logged in for sometime and did not access the folders until hours later. When they attempt to connect to the folders, they are prompt to login with their username and password. However, if they were to restart and login to the domain once again, they would be able to access the folders with no question asked.

This problem seems to be only hitting the XP users as the win 2000 users never had such a problem.

Advices anyone? Thanks a million in advance :)

2. 10forcash

10forcash

There's a security setting in the XP local security setting GPO that disconnects users from shares after (the default) 15 minutes...can't remember where though...
    Cheers
    10forcash
    [Edited for brain fade....]
    control panel>local security settings>local policies>security options>Microsoft Network server: Amount of idle time required before suspending session

3. tben

tben Thread Starter

Thank you so much 10forcash

Just to wrap up this discussion

The local security settings can be found as follows

control panel>adminitrative tools>local security policy>Microsoft Network server: Amount of idle time required before suspending session

4. 10forcash

10forcash

Yer,
    Sorry, just looked at a XP box thats not yet on a domain, the path I listed was from a shortcut created in control panel, which only admins have access to
    Cheers,
    10forcash

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/236582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice