1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing Notepad

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ImAnMT2, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImAnMT2

ImAnMT2 Thread Starter

I'm having a problem reading a Word document in Notepad. When I right click on a Word document and chose to view it in Notepad, this is what I see in Notepad.

ÐÏࡱá >  þÿ   A  C  þÿÿÿ @ Fÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ¥Á %`  ø¿   º  bjbjNàNà  4 ,Š ,Š º
    ÿÿ ÿÿ ÿÿ ¤ , , , , , , ,  @ È È È È  ä @ í( ¶ ü L H H H H H 6 ~ Š  l(  n( n( n( n( n( n( $ £) h , T ’(  , ’ H H ’ ’ ’( , , H H §(  ´ ´ ´ ’ , H , H l(

I am running Vista 64-bit, Dell Insipiron 1545. I use Word 2003 SP3 but originally had Word 2007 and have since uninstalled it. Is there some type of atribute that can be changed to be able to access Notepad from a Word document. I use this option a lot and hope there's some way to resolve this.

Thank you for any help. Carol

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

The file extension of your document probably isn't supported with notepad. What is the file extension of your file?

3. ImAnMT2

ImAnMT2 Thread Starter

Actually, I'm having this same situation on my PC which is running XP and the same version of Microsoft Office Word 2003, SP3. The Dell I was asking about is a laptop. The document extensions though on both computers is .doc (Microsoft Word Document).

Thanks for your insight. Carol

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Notepad is a plain text processor. You are seeing Word's formatting code when you view a .doc with it. The actual text will be there somewhere also.

You have Word, so may I ask why you are trying to use Notepad for .doc?

5. ImAnMT2

ImAnMT2 Thread Starter

Hi Terri -- I have production reports that I do and I just find it quicker and easier to right click a report in it's folder to check something than bring it into Word. It's just a little weird that I haven't noticed this before now. I do see the text underneath all the formatting codes, however.

It's just that I've never noticed this before and was wondering how it happened and if there was a way to change it.

Thanks for your reply.
    Carol

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no clue what changed, but am pretty sure it wasn't Notepad. Notepad in Windows 7 doesn't seem to be any different than the one in Windows 98.

Word can save in several different file types, including .txt. Is it possible that the Production Reports used to be stored in a different format and only recently changed to the default .doc?

7. ImAnMT2

ImAnMT2 Thread Starter

The production reports that I do are all .doc format. Reports are transcribed in Word with .doc extentions. I'm wondering though being you brought up change, the dictation software that I use works through Word, and they recently made an upgrade to allow for Vista users. It's possible there could have been a change or something made that is causing this to happen. I'll have to contact them and see, but I know right now what the guy will say...lol

Thank you for your help and to Mr. Dawson. Have a great weekend!
    Carol

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/865521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice