1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing old user files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by beau.krieg, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beau.krieg

beau.krieg Thread Starter

Hi

I recently upgraded my computer's CPU/Motherboard/RAM etc however, after plugging in my old hard drives, Windows failed to load. In an effort to save my old files I reinstalled windows XP on my secondary hard drive, hoping to access my original hard drive's files through the reinstalled version of windows. Everything went according to plan except when trying to access the old 'My Documents' folder, and the computer says 'Access denied,' probably because that folder was declared private on my old network and because the user account was password protected. Please help me retrieve my old files! :)

Ta

Beau

2. Sponsor

3. DBClark

DBClark

4. Augie65

Augie65

5. beau.krieg

Thanks for the link but unfortunately, the option of ''use Simple File Sharing" doesn't exist under folder options, and the so called, 'security tab' doesn't either, so we're back to square 1.

6. adambaz

adambaz

The security tab won't show up until you have unticked "use simple file sharing"

Double check, it should be there.

7. beau.krieg

Yeah, its definately not there, I got my dad to double check it, and have checked the other computer and the 'Use Simple File Sharing' option isn't there.

8. Augie65

Augie65

If you are running Windows XP Home, you will have to boot into Safe Mode to see the security tab using the fix from Microsoft that I linked.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!