1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing Router using command prompt

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Brandy10, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brandy10

Brandy10 Thread Starter

I am using a Linksys Router, WRT 100AC, that has two USB slots. Presently, I have both slots occupied and have a number of folders/files I access through Windows 10 Explorer. I would like to access either USB device via the command prompt for copying selected folders/files to my current hard drive. Is there a fairly simple way to do this?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Brandy10, and welcome to TSG.

Are the USB slots occupied with storage devices of some kind? If so, do they appear as external hard drives on your computer? If so, you should be able to assign drive letters to each of them and then copy files to and from them using command prompts.

3. Brandy10

Brandy10 Thread Starter

Disk Management only shows Disk 0 and CD-ROM 0. Windows 10 File Explorer tree (left panel) shows “Network”. Under ‘Network” (listed with > character) are the Computer Name, Printer Name, and Wi-Fi Name.

When left clicking on Wi-Fi name, I can then see the labels of my two USBs. Of course, when double clicking on one the USBs labels, I then can see Folder/File Names.

Thanks for your help.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Why not copy and paste the files in File Explorer ? Or drag and drop them ?

5. Brandy10

Brandy10 Thread Starter

I have a number of important files, financial, meal costs (I’m in a community), exercise, and password files stored. I have three computers and depending which is powered up, I want access to any of these files. When I am on a single computer and update one of these files, I would like to copy the files, zip them with a password, and store them on the computer I’m using. I envision I can do this at shutdown time with a batch file running in auto. These days, everything is done in auto. My memory at times would result in nothing being copied. In effect, it is a backup in case the USB goes bad. Perhaps you might have a better idea to accomplish the above.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

1. In Disk Management, can you right click on the USB stick and see if you can assign a drive letter? I don't have the setup that you do, so I don't know if that really could be done.

2. If you modify a file on the USB and copy the files onto the currrent computer in use, you would end up with different versions of the file on those 3 computers. Whats the point of keeping 3 versions - are they intended to be backup ?

3. The files on the USB are open to access from the network. There is no Windows, no user account and password, to protect them. Ziping them up with a password and storing them on a computer does not do anything to secure the files, they are readily accessible on the USBs

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!