1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing the CD drive causes system to hang

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dastuph, Dec 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dastuph

dastuph Thread Starter

I am having a problem with my CD drives. Anytime you put in a CD the system hangs for a good 5 minutes before it finally spools up and you get control of the system again. Once it does this you can read off of the CD but if you eject it, it does the same thing the next time you insert another CD.

I just tried installing some new software for a digi cam and the info was on CD. Once it got through its hang I connected the cam and windows detected a new item. When I tried to have windows access the CD drive to search for the drivers I received an error in a white window that says it couldnt read from it and it said something about the CD drive being "networked"?

No clue what all this means but its causing a major headache.

Any suggestions would be apprieciated.

Thanks,

2. rugrat

rugrat

dastuph

Is your virus scanning program set to scan the cd rom drive on access? It may be scanning the cd before it will allow you to use it.

Let us know

3. dastuph

dastuph Thread Starter

I am running Norton AntiVirus 2002 and I dont see the option to scan the CD anywhere so I assume its not scanning it.

If that is incorrect, where do I find this option?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/107925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice