1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

accessing the internet overseas

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by lagrive, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lagrive

lagrive Thread Starter

I always spend the entire month of July traveling in the south pacific and August in France. I always bring my Dell Inspiron 6000 with me specifically to download my pics. When I can find a wifi site I try to read my messages and possibly send mail and surf the net. This tends to be a pain. Other times I buy a phone card and manually go onto the net. I was told there is another way. I can purchase some sort of card that goes into the PC card slot on the side of my laptop. I was told by Frisson, my cell phone company that they have this unit but I have to purchase a two year contract as well as the cost of the unit.
    Is there anyway or anything that I can get/use so that I can get onto the internet for a specific amount of time(monthly is no problem)?
    My e-mail address is [email protected] which is the best way to contact me.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Firstly, please quickly remove your email address from your post. People will not usually respond off-forum, but spammers delight in harvesting such publically available addresses.

I suspect you are referring to a cellular (GSM/GPRS) card which acceses the cellphone network for data, it can be VERY expensive when travelling unless you have a reciprocal charging setup with your provider at home.

My costs can be 30 cents per kb in some countries ($300 per megabyte!). Image files would be very costly.

3. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH

When I did that on my phones browser, lets just say I ran out of money, and I am still glad it is on a prepaid system. They can be surprisingly expensive.

If you lived in New Zealand, I would recommend Vodem. Other than that you should be able to get something like a wireless card and ask about global roaming. The cost could be more expensive because of it though, but you sound like you would have enough time to also use a local ISP as well. See what those countries provide in terms of wireless broadband. It isn't really any cheaper than using other methods. But if you keep paying one off costs to do those things in those countries yourself, it might end up building up to cost more, so it would make a more logical choice to go wireless.

4. pcxt2007

pcxt2007

Check a similar offer like the one being offered in Singapore. This is the Vodaphone offer. Just to give you an idea, take a look at the details here http://m1.com.sg/broadband/faqs.htm . Check provision number 9.

5. jack03

jack03

Well, In this regards the cellular provider is the best option for you. You can ask the cellular provider for their GPRS services and also if they can provide it overseas with the help of other cellular provider.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/551929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice