1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

accessing vista shared printer from mac

Discussion in 'Networking' started by me34543, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. me34543

me34543 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am sharing a canon mf4350d printer installed on a vista home premium edition computer. I am trying to access it on an imac using osx 10.6.8. Below are the steps I have taken so far:

1. On vista machine in the control panel I have checked off the "share this printer" box in the printers properties.

2. In the registry of the Vista machine I have changed the value of lmcompatibilitylevel from 3 to 1 and then rebooted.

3. On the Imac in system preferences I opened "Print and Fax" and clicked "+" to add a printer.

4. I clicked on the "IP" button and set the "Protocol" to "Line Printer Daemon - LPD"; in the "Address" field I entered the IP address of the vista machine; In the "Print Using" I set to "Generic PCL Laser Printer".

When I try and print it can't connect to the printer and it does not print. Any help in solving this would be appreciated

Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    On the Vista did you turn on printer sharing? Did you configure any non-Windows firewall for the desired access?

Vista refuses to file share unless at least one user account is password protected. Don't know if that is needed for printer sharing.

3. me34543

me34543 Thread Starter

Thank you for the response.

1. Printer Sharing is turned on in Vista

2. Non-windows firewall is set so that it should allow for printer sharing

3. One or more user accounts is password protected - the mac user account is password protected and I am also currently able to access files in a folder shared on the vista machine through the mac. The problem is strictly in sharing the vista connected printer.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As I know nothing about MACs, I cannot help. Sorry. Sounds like the Vista side is OK.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice