1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing wifi on a mobile phone

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Deletedmember644920, Dec 24, 2010.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deletedmember644920

Deletedmember644920 Guest Thread Starter

I recently bought a samsung mobile phone that has bluetooth but not wifi. It also has a microusb port. I am wondering if there is a way to access wifi hotspots through some sort of converter (so I don't have to use expensive mobile internet) and also how to share internet from my PC to my phone. The PC is running windows 7 and does not currently have a bluetooth adapter.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i dont think the USB - microlead with the samsung utility will do that - I know you can often use the phone as a modem to connect the Laptop to the internet via the phone cell network - but not the other way around

3. Deletedmember644920

Deletedmember644920 Guest Thread Starter

What if I created a bluetooth connection and bridged it with my wifi. Will windows let me do this? Linux? Also, will the Samsung accept it?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i'm afraid i do not know perhaps others can help , i have only ever used a mobile as a modem

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The mobile carrier has a reason for not including this functionality: they want you to pay for data access. Trying to work around this is a pretty futile exercise. The phone would have to support some type of reverse Internet connection sharing through Bluetooth which is highly unlikely since, again, the carrier wants you to pay for data on their network. If WiFi connectivity is important, return the phone while you can and buy one that supports it directly.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice