1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing work PC remotely from behind a Linksys router at home

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jsrivast, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsrivast

jsrivast Thread Starter

I am using Remote Desktop Access to access my PC at work from my laptop at home which is behind a security enabled Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

Although I have enabled my PC at work to be remotely accessed and I have been successful in accessing it when I am on the WEP secured wireless network at work, I cannot access it when I am home.

I have seen several posts related to this but nothing seems to work. A step by step directions to get this solved would be great.

I am sure everything is in order in the work computer but there is probably some configuration with the Linksys router that is not allowing me to use Remote Desktop Access.

2. gurutech

gurutech

You would first need to create a VPN connection from your home PC to your work's network.

3. jsrivast

jsrivast Thread Starter

How does one create a VPN connection from home to work? Is there a step by step guide for this?

4. gurutech

gurutech

You would need to contact your IT department. Every company is different, as it depends on the hardware that is used on the network side.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, if you just have a SOHO router at work, all you need to do to use Remote Desktop is to forward the correct port to the work machine through that router. Port 3389 is what you need to forward.

6. jsrivast

jsrivast Thread Starter

What is SOHO router? I have a Linksys WRT54G (Version 5) router at home. I have used the port forwarding in Linksys -- basically I have specified 3389 as the start and end values, have allowed both kinds of protocol, and have specified the IP address of the computer that I will be using to access my work computer from home. It still does not work. Is there anything else I need to do? Would greatly appreciate your help.

How does one use the work router to forward the correct port to the work machine through that router? Does it require the Network admin's help at work?

7. shadypac

shadypac

Yes because chances are if its a average sized or better network at your job they arent using basic home routers like the ones you use at your house. You would have to speak with the network engineers-admins and they would have to setup vpn-port fowarding

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What's the network at work look like? I mis-read, thought that router was at work. The work location is where the forwarded port needs to be addressed, you don't need any ports forwarded at your end to initiate the session from home.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/558142