Accident in regedit

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TheShooter93 
#1 ·
General Info

Windows 8 pro
Laptop
Cant do anything on computer
using a different laptop right now

I was in regedit trying to delete an instant savings app that had found its way into my computer. I believe i was in Local_Users and i know i went to the software folder. I accidentally deleted the software folder and I couldnt use any programs. I couldnt use a system restore because it gave me an error so i decided to reboot and go into safe mode and do it there but it didnt work. I have been trying to figure all of this out with windows technicians and didnt get anywhere. I cant do anything on my broken computer because when i boot it up, it skips the boot menu and i cant get it into safe mode or anything. it goes straight to the lock screen and I cant read any texts and can only put in my password. After I put in the password, it gives me a black screen for a few seconds with a blue spinning wheel on my mouse and it goes back to the lock screen. My idea was to load the cd I have with the win8 pro back onto my computer and that would reset the registry but I dont know how to do this because I cant do any functions on my pc at the moment. any help would be great. Sorry for all the bad writing, I am trying to finish a lot of homework and figure out this problem at the same time.

Thank you,
Alex

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like you accidently damaged the registry so unless you have an external backup of your registry the only way to fix it is to reinstall windows from the cd then reinstall all of your programs so first backup anything that you need to a cd or usb flash drive then put the windows 8 cd into the cd drive & restart your computer. When the restart begins you need to access the boot menu by pressing F12 until it appears (if it starts loading windows you'll have to restart the computer again & look for the keyboard command in the upper right corner of the screen), when the boot screen appears select your cd/dvd drive using the arrow keys & hit enter. Now it should be saying Press Any Key To Boot From CD so do that & the windows 8 setup will begin. Follow the on screen instructions to do a clean reinstall.

Here's a helpful Windows 8 Step by Step Reinstall Guide to help you just in case you've never done anything like this before. http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win...ll/windows_8_reinstall_guide.htm#.VH4S5NJpf4Q

#3 ·
awegner said:
I was in regedit trying to delete an instant savings app that had found its way into my computer.
That is not how you uninstall applications. You should never touch the registry if you don't know exactly what you are doing. It is unfortunately very fragile.

To uninstall an application go to Control Panel > Programs and Features

--------------------------------------------------------------------

mpeet611's suggestion of re-installing Windows will do the trick, but if you have a System Restore point before you made the registry edit you can revert back to it.

System Restore
  • Press and hold the Windows key + R on your keyboard.
  • In the Run box, type rstrui.exe and hit Enter.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to restore your computer to a date before the issue(s) started.

#4 ·
if you have a System Restore point before you made the registry edit you can revert back to it.
Just to remind you she said in her first post as quoted below she already tried using system restore but it didn't work.

I couldnt use a system restore because it gave me an error so i decided to reboot and go into safe mode and do it there but it didnt work

#5 ·
mpeet611 said:
Just to remind you she said in her first post as quoted below she already tried using system restore but it didn't work.
Ah, clearly I missed that. Thanks. :up:

----------------------------------------------------

In light of that, the next thing I would suggest is a Startup Repair. You can also try performing a System Restore from this environment if the Startup Repair is not useful.

Startup Repair
  • Insert your Windows Operating System Disk into the computer.
  • As the computer boots up, watch for Press any key to boot from CD or DVD...
  • When it appears, press any key on your keyboard.
  • This will bring you to a Windows Installation screen. Continue with the directions until you reach the "Install Now" screen:
  • Click the Repair Your Computer button in the lower-left corner.
  • Continue through until you reach the Recovery Environment screen:
  • Click Startup Repair.
  • Let this process complete and include the results in your next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.