1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidental closing of multiple windows

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by legality, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. legality

legality Thread Starter

Running Win7, IE8. Terribly frustrated.....have several web pages open and forever hitting the large X button at the top when I want to close a particular web page instead of the individual tab. The X closes everything and is painful since many of the open web pages required my login info which needs to be re-entered all over again when I reinstate the website. Is there a way to prevent ALL open web pages from closing when hitting that big red X? Yes, yes, I know I should train myself to hit the individual tabs, but old habits die hard. :D

thanks,
    legality

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

http://windows.microsoft.com/ie9

is a way around it as layout very different but if you install it ( its good) be gentle leave it to do its thing re boot when it asks

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's a matter of getting used to a tabbed browser versus IE 6's old style of every site being in its own window.

In the meantime, you can set a warning in IE 8 to tell you if you're closing multiple tabs. Open Internet Explorer options. Click Settings under Tabs. Check the box "Warn me when closing multiple tabs".

4. legality

legality Thread Starter

DoubleHelix.....thanks so much for that info. The warning will suffice until my brain cooperates with the tabs.

Daz1 - thanks for your reply, but not ready to download IE9 just yet.

legality

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!