1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidental memory downgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tryxb, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tryxb

tryxb Thread Starter

Have a Packard Bell Platinum 1560 ..upgraded to win98 & put in memory card i THOUGHT would upgrade but when restarted it said i had downgraded and asked me to "boot" which i did and was able to shutdown properly. Reinserted the "original" chip and now i have nothing...doesn't seem to recognize the mouse, keyboard and the monitor is total black. tried win98 boot disk, pb recovery disk.. still nothing. everything was working fine after the 98 upgrade until i did that... if you can PLEASE help me asap. thanks SO much!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Either you put the memory in incorrectly or broke something in the socket. You should, at the very least get some POST code beeps. Take the memory out completely and see what happens. Win98 wouldn't cause the errors you are describing.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'm replying to this because I got an email from Tryxb asking if I would suggest a solution so here I am ... but Rock's reply really covers it pretty well ....

Open up the case and remove and reseat the original old memory like Rock suggested. Memory problems can cause all sorts of strange errors and it sounds like you don't have the Old memory installed correctly or you broke something reinstalling it.

4. tryxb

tryxb Thread Starter

took all memory out and powered up.. no beeps at all i DID put memory in wrong initially & took it out and put original all back in.. i knew the win98 was ok and that SOMETHING is going on w/memory or other.. the one time i got a series of beeps on boot up.. now i still get nothing.. with memory in or out.. i'm one of those who knows just enough to be dangerous i guess.. what is my next step?

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Next step. Check to see if you knocked anything loose while you were replacing the memory. Are you getting any lights when you power on? Try reseating any cards and cables in the area of the memory and put the original memory back in the same slots where you originally removed it from.

6. tryxb

tryxb Thread Starter

did that :-(

7. brianF

brianF

You may have blown the memory, about the only thing I can think of is to try some new and see if it boots.

Also make sure the processor didn't come loose while you where in the case.

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

Brian posted while I was typing but he always gives good advice.

You may have fried the motherboard or the memory but try removing everything except for the cpu, memory, and video card and see if you can get the system to post, If you have onboard video be sure your memory is in the first slot. You could also try clearing the cmos (with a jumper on the motherboard or removing the battery). Any lights, fans, etc?

9. tryxb

tryxb Thread Starter

:rolleyes: hmm... ok.. i have 2 banks w/2memory cards each... would blowing one of the cards blow them all??? get no beeps on startup.. with or without memory installed...can hear hard drive working.. monitor power light is on but nothing on screen.. no lights on keyboard (except for flash when first powering up) also... i am very "electric" um.. lots of static.. thought was ok but if wasn't... did i totally blow the kibitz on this thing??? please keep giving advice and options.... i do have fans and they are working... do not know about battery in motherboard or how to find or get there

10. brianF

brianF

You only need memory installed in the first two banks for the unit to work.

Try flip flopping your memory sticks in banks 0 and 1.

It's possible you took out one stick and it's hanging the computer.

Make sure you keep physical contact the the frame of the case while doing it. Keeps you on the same electrical plane as the case.

11. tryxb

tryxb Thread Starter

i already did that too... took the 2 sticks from bank 0 and put in bank one and vice/versa ... tried with the 2 sticks in only bank 0.. tried with no memory... still nothing i am beyond frustrated at this point.... but please keep helping

12. brianF

brianF

About your last option

13. tryxb

tryxb Thread Starter

ok.. i need more details on how to do that and how to know for sure what's what so will do more research and see if i can get step by step .. thanks for your help... guess it might be time to send it out... :(

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice