1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally changed password and now can't access Internet :S. Help?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sparkles1976, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkles1976

sparkles1976 Thread Starter

Alright, so I wanted to connect my Nintendo Ds to my wifi, and in order to do that I needed to find the WEP key. So I looked online and came across another forum where people were asking how to also find it for their Nintendos. I found out how to locate it, or generate it, I connected to it and now it works fine. ...Except in doing so I guess apparently I changed the password??? And now I guess I'm supposed to use that key to connect to the Internet. I have two laptops which are connected wirelessly to my computer which is plugged into the main router. I also have an iPod touch, which I am using to write on this from. It was pretty easy to connect my iPod back to the Internet, all I did was type in the new key....as for the laptops.... I am completely lost on what to do. They are both Thinkpad windows vista. And the router is Linksys. When I go to connect to a network, it says the settings saved on this computer do not match the requirements of the network. .....So I don't really know how to change the settings:confused: I right clicked to go to properties and tried to change the network key to the new WEP key under WPA Personal. I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what and I'm completely lost as to what to do. Also, would changing my password back to the way it was before not allow me to connect wirelessly with my Nintendo? Please Help me!!!!:(

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    assuming you change the password and security type in the router - which it sounds like you have

you now need to remove th saved profiles on the PC for your wireless connection as it will be using WPA

the best way is to delete the profiles and then reconnect to the wireless connection where you will be prompted for the new wep password

How to remove Wireless Profiles - for Vista and Windows 7
    http://uk.tp-link.com/article/?id=281
    http://www.home-network-help.com/delete-wireless-network.html
    - Vista/Windows7:
    - delete the wireless profiles
    Start> control Panel> classic view> network and sharing center> manage wireless networks

Delete the profiles
    you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to - so make sure you know the correct password , and not using an incorrect password at all
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice