1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally created a new network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pivypiv, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pivypiv

Pivypiv Thread Starter

While trying to connect my computer to our wifi system I accidentally created a new network, and I can't figure out how to delete it. It's a dell 745 on windows XP.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

It is unlikely that you created a new network, you probably created a new connection. Please upload the screenshot so we can evaluate exactly what you see.

3. Pivypiv

Pivypiv Thread Starter

There's nothing to actually see on the other computer, or I can't figure out how to show it. But when trying to connect other devices to our wifi system this connection that I accidentally created comes up as an option.

4. CleaverX

CleaverX

The only way for you to create another network is if your router actually allows it, for example some routers have a Guest network option, so that would create an additional SSID which would be visible by the devices in range. So is it possible you did this? Also some router are dual band so it is possible to give a different SSID to each (2.4 and 5 Ghz). Although technically that would not create a different network, as both bands would be on the same subnet.

5. Pivypiv

Pivypiv Thread Starter

I'm not sure. The original wifi network still displays along with this other one on devices we try to connect, and still works. If this is the case is this a problem, and if so how do I get rid of it?

6. CleaverX

CleaverX

Just because your devices detect it, it does not means it is yours, it only means that it is within range.

7. Pivypiv

Pivypiv Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure this one in mine. The name matches.

8. CleaverX

CleaverX

can you upload a screenshot showing the two networks?

9. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice