1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally deleted a registry value

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ozlemtuncel, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozlemtuncel

ozlemtuncel Thread Starter

Hi,

I have Windows 2000 Professional and while trying to delete the 'Brilliant Dig' spyware I also deleted HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\. And now I cant open some web pages especially the javascript links. It says 'Error on page'

Also, I cant open Microsoft Word anymore. If i try to do so it says: "the windows installer service could not be accessed. contact your support personnel to verify that the Windows Installer service is properly registered."

When I try to open a word document saved on my C\drive it says: "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel."

In addition to these, when I try to update my AVG Anti virus I receive a message like there is a problem with the interface and it fails to update.

And finally some options like start-search-all files and folders and edit-find (on this page) commands do not work.

Hope you can help me with this problem?

2. junker39

junker39

You can use the 2000 CD and do a repair.

3. ozlemtuncel

Thanks junker39,

Have never formatted a laptop in my life. Hope i will not ruin the laptop even more. Have asked a computer shop here in London and the guy wanted 150 quid to fix it. The laptop itself would cost that much.. so, i decided to roll up my sleeves and learn about it.

4. colmaca

colmaca

5. junker39

junker39

You don't have to format it. Do a Repair of the system. It's an option when you start up with the 2000 CD in the CD drive. (you may to go into the BIOS and set to boot from CD if it's not set already.

6. junker39

junker39

7. junker39

junker39

oz, how you getting along with your reg problem?
    When you get it up and running again, here's a program you can use to make automatic backups of your registry daily. It works sort of like the restore function on other Windows versions:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

8. ozlemtuncel

Hi Junker,

Still the same..from the internet site you gave to me I did the registry scan of Registry Mechanic. It has found 870 critical problems and it said it can solve the problem if I buy the program.

9. junker39

junker39

Did you do a Repair using the 2000CD?

10. ozlemtuncel

I dont have the 2000 CD, I am trying to find it from my friends.

11. ozlemtuncel

Hi Junker,

Is there a good registry repair software you know which might sort this problem out without being have to format the laptop?

Oz

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A registry repair tool isn't going to replace missing entries.

13. junker39

junker39

oz, you can't format and reinstall without the CD and if you had it, you wouldn't have to. You have to have the CD to repair or replace, either way.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/383533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice