1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally deleted account

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hockeyboy08, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hockeyboy08

Hockeyboy08 Thread Starter

Hey.

I accidentally (I don't even know how I did it) deleted my account with ALL MY FILES ON IT! But I know my files are still on the hard drive and in the computer. Problem is when I try to access ''Documents and Settings'' my old account's folder is still there but It is blocked. I remember blocking other users from my files awhile ago but I need to get all my files back!

It won't let me enter my files. All it says is ''C:\DocumentsandSettings/Owner is not accessible.

Access is denied''

Is there any ways I can get these files? I heard I can somehow connect to another computer and send them. I don't know. Any programs I can use? I'll even buy. Please help.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You need to take posssesion of it since it is not recognizing your current User Name as having authority to access it.

In XP Pro you only neeed to right click on the directory and select the Security tab where you will find the option to add your user name to the permissions list.

In XP Home you must boot up in Safe Mode and do this.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

4. Hockeyboy08

Hockeyboy08 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the link guys! It worked, I got my files back and I backed them up onto some CD's.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!