1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally deleted EFI partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by demonator21, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. demonator21

demonator21 Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

I had a dual boot on my laptop (running windows 7 and arch linux). I decided to get rid of the linux partitions and accidentally deleted the EFI partition. As a result, my laptop now doesn't recognize that there is any operating system on the computer.

What I have tried: I am currently using this: http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/52515-windows-8-cant-start-due-missing-efi-partition.html and the post by Genet with Option 3 since I allocated the space back to my disk C. I am running into an error part way thru the solution though where after I do "create partition efi size=260", it comes back with "MSR and EFI partitions are only supported on GPT disks. Convert the selected disk to GPT and try again". I don't know if I want to do that because its my local disk C...don't want to mess that up and change the format of that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

1, Welcome to Tech Support Guy
    2. When it was booting before you started which boot loader was in use
    3. What version of windows 7 is it - 32 or 64 bit
    4. when you say
    do you mean you simply just deleted these partitions
    Have you since extended windows partition
    5. What partitions are left
    6. Your best bet at this stage is a windows installation disc
    repair your computer
    if it will allow
    or cmd prompt from advanced troubleshooting via disc and then

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

if the windows 7 is 64 bit and is installed GPT on UEFI then that cmd will not work
    However it will not do any harm

See how you go with that and when you post back I can either assist you to get your data or possibly recover your boot into 7

3. Bailifeifei

Bailifeifei

Maybe to try some partition recovery software, like Easeus partiiton recovery. But it can only recover the data on the partition. You have to save the data somewhere else, and re-create the partition.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
  5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Although demonator21 has never replied, so we may never know the answer I doubt that this problem is a deleted EFI partition
    Hence the response from the attempt to create one
    Although he used the link from Windows 8 and he has 7
    However he has that with Arch Linux

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!