1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally deleted mouse and keyboard driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chinesepandagirl, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chinesepandagirl

chinesepandagirl Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I am wondering if anyone can help me with this problem. I believed I accidentally deleted the keyboard and mouse driver from the "Add and remove program". I tried to unplug and plug the mouse and keyboard back in and to reboot the computer. I have also tried to go to safe mode, but the keyboard and mouse still doesn't work. Does anyone know how to fix this problem??

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

What OS are you using. What kind of keyboard and Mouse? Is it USB?

3. chinesepandagirl

chinesepandagirl Thread Starter

I m using Windows. They keyboard and mouse are both ps2. I tried to locate the driver for them, but i can't find it online.

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

I have never heard of a non-USB mouse or keyboard not working from the get-go (i.e., without installing a driver). Also-how can you possibly install a driver if the keyboard and the mouse don't work? :confused:

Don't know what to recommend other than try a different mouse and keyboard and/or try reinstalling windows.

I realize that--but what version?

5. Mulderator

Mulderator

BTW--do you have the mouse and keyboard during bootup? I am assuming you do.

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

Another thing I thought of--if you still can't get the PS2 ports to work, you could try a USB keyboard and mouse. Those will be recognized automatically and then from there you can install drivers for the other keyboard and mouse.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The basic operation of a PS2 mouse and keyboard are controlled from the BIOS, and would not appear in control panel "Add or Remove Programs" or be able to be "deleted".

Enhanced driver software for extra functionality of a keyboard and mouse will be there, if the software that was supplied was loaded, but it should not stop basic operation if removed.

If it appeared in "Add and Remove programs" it was enhanced software, not the basic functionality.

I suspect that there is more to this than some software being accidentally removed.

8. Mulderator

Mulderator

Yes--that's why I was curious if she had the mouse and keyboard functionality during bootup. If she doesn't it would seem there is some hardware problem with the PS2 ports. I've never heard of a BIOS setting for turning PS2 ports on and off.

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Me neither. BIOS makes them function by default, and there is no option under "add and remove programs" to diable that.

Just a pity that mind reading is still prohibited on the forum though, or we could gain some more important information on both the operating system and the hardware?

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

11. parasolution

parasolution

I actually had the same problem just a couple of days ago, as noted in this thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/514372-solved-keyboard-mouse-problems.html

My PS/2 ports were essentially useless and I had to plug in a USB mouse and keyboard. Then I had to edit the registry to enable the ports again. Not sure if that is the type of problem she is having, but my only way around it was to plug in USB devices.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/514260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice