1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally deleted my backup drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zerthimon, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zerthimon

Zerthimon Thread Starter

I was reinstalling Windows Vista today (fresh install), and during the drive selection I inadvertently clicked "delete" while the secondary drive was selected instead of the primary. This is my only backup drive. It is, of course, now not recognized as a drive. I tried booting up Ubuntu and using Gparted to fix the problem, but the only option it gives me is creating a new partition. I then downloaded PC Inspector File Recovery and ran it overnight; it found 16000+ files, but all of them are named cluster1013651.* and so forth, and all of them appear to be corrupted. Windows seems to know what type of file each is, as their extensions are intact, but they will not open properly. Another weird issue is that the vast majority of files are .xls, but I don't use Excel.

Is there some utility that can repair the drive so that Windows detects it again? All the data is still there, the drive was never formatted or written to in any way.

2. bp936

bp936

welcome to TSG.
    Do you have your original files on the hard drive?
    Can't you reformat the backup drive and backup the files again?

I am not an expert, but those are the things I would check first.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

This is NOT Guaranteed, but should not do any more damage than already done.

You nearly got there with using GParted.

When you deleted the drive, all it did was overwrite the Partition information. It did not (as you have already noted) delete any data.
    SO......... if you can put the partition data back exactly as it was, you may be able to read the data. See if you can find (not on the drive in question) any confirmation of exactly what the partition was. If not, you will have to try setting the size to the whole drive and the file type MUST be what it was.

Do NOT attempt to write anything to the drive. All tests MUST be read only.

4. Zerthimon

Zerthimon Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response.

How do I go about doing this?

5. Zerthimon

Zerthimon Thread Starter

What about using DiskPart? Is there a command in there to remount the drive and assign it a letter?

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

7. Zerthimon

Zerthimon Thread Starter

Excellent. Thank you Dave! Aside from deleting the partition table and attempting a file recovery, nothing has been done to the drive at all. I have high hopes!

Thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice