1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally deleted my My Documents

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Godfall47, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Godfall47

Godfall47 Thread Starter

I moved my documents to my desktop without meaning to. And without thinking, deleted it. I thought it was just a shortcut but turns out it was the actual folder. Now i have nothing. It had months worth of movies music etc that i would really love to get back. Any help would be appreciated,

2. zorgan

zorgan

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva

this is what you need, free software and spyware/adware free etc :)

very reputable company this software is from too.

install this software then do a scan for what you want to try get back.

REMEMBER TO MARK THIS THREAD SOLVED IF YOU SUCCEED.

3. Godfall47

Godfall47 Thread Starter

How deep of a scan do i have to go?
    Also, i ran a system restore to restore to the day before that froze up on me. Then tried it in Safe mode. Said the system restore was unsuccessful. Tried to restore from a previous time but all there is is Undo restore.
    Does that have any effect on my situation?

4. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

I didn't really understand your last post, but I think you've installed Recuva and have trouble using it. I recommend you read this article and act accordingly.

5. Godfall47

Godfall47 Thread Starter

Installed it and followed the wizard and it finished without any findings. Started an advanced search but i really dont know where to look for these files. I just selected my entire harddrive, which is going to take hours to scan.

6. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

Just choose the C:\ drive or where-ever the My Documents folder was previously located. [It is usually in the same partition as your OS].

7. Lance1

Lance1

Keep in mind that the more you use the computer the more unlikely it will be that you will get the data back. The reason being is that the blocks that stored that data are being overwritten with new data each time you perform an action on the computer.

When you deleted, did you send it to the recycle bin :confused:

8. Godfall47

Godfall47 Thread Starter

No, it did not go to the recycle bin. Which i think is kinda stupid. It was the actual My Documents folder and i deleted it. And just surfing the web looking for a way to fix it wont overwrite the blocks will it.

9. NotRite

NotRite

Are you POSITIVE that it didn't go to the Recycle Bin? That would be the "normal" action on a delete. Should have even asked if you were sure you wanted to delete this folder. There is a key combo that might have used that bypassed the Recycle Bin, in which case I think you are up a creek without a program such as suggested above to recover it.

10. Godfall47

Godfall47 Thread Starter

Positive. First place i checked the second after i did it. It was late and i was focused on something else and just pressed ok and poof. gone. The program is almost done scanning so hopefully it works out.

11. Godfall47

Godfall47 Thread Starter

Finished scanning and got nothing. It scanned for 2 hours and brought up a file on my desktop called "classes". Thats it. Out of the entire C:\ drive.

12. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

http://www.shadowexplorer.com/
    From time to time Windows 7 makes copies of data, called shadow copies but the process for accessing those files is not provided in lower versions of 7 (where one could argue they are needed most!), so you need Shadow Explorer to access them. If Recuva is not successful or only partially successful maybe you'll still have some older versions (which could be current) of the data in the shadow copies.

13. Godfall47

Godfall47 Thread Starter

Shadow Explorer only brings up one point in time shadow copy. And its a time after i deleted the folder.

14. zorgan

zorgan

If Recuva was unable to find anything, try a chkdsk

go into my computer, right click C drive, properties, tools, check now, just make sure the top most selection is ticked, click start
    it may ask you to reboot your computer and schedule a disk check, so do this and then reboot your machine.

if you have crashed at all recently you may have a corrupt Master File Table.

this should correct it..........now try recuva again.

you should not need to do a deep scan, usually picks up what it needs without doing so.

15. Godfall47

Godfall47 Thread Starter

Its not pulling up any of the files i need.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice