1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally deleted NTFS Partition

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Anaror, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anaror

Anaror Thread Starter

Hi soo,.. earlier today i was trying to reinstall windows on a computer, i got to the partition section and accidentally deleted the partition from my external hard drive instead of the one i wanted!

Does anyone know any free software I can use to either recover the files or re-establish the partition?
    Also it should be noted that now when I plug in my external hard drive it doesn't show up anymore. How can I fix this? as lots of software im noticing wont find it, unless windows finds it first.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Never use drive letters to identify drives. They change all the time.

The drive will not show up in explorer in Windows if it has nothing to display. If it has no file system, there is nothing that Windows could show you, so it does not appear.

You may be able to recover the partition. Try recovering either the partition or your files. Move them all somewhere else if you get access to them and then repartition and reformat the drive.

Free:

Parted Magic (The best boot CD. Includes data recovery to CD/DVD, network, or USB, Testdisk for partition recovery, audio tests, and much more)
    Testdisk Documentation
    Testdisk Download
    Easeus Partition Recovery
    Diskinternals Partition Recovery
    Partition Wizard Boot CD
    DriveRescue
    Testdisk Boot Disk
    Partition Find & Mount
    Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Commercial:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
    [email protected] Partition Recovery
    Bootmaster Partition Recovery
    ZAR Partition Recovery
    DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
    Partition Table Doctor

3. Anaror

Anaror Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. I will try some of those.
    I did find Pareto Logic which seems to be doing the trick as well. Although to be honest I'm not sure if its going to try making pay for the software once it finishes scanning, it is finding my files though.

4. Anaror

Anaror Thread Starter

So FYI to anyone who looks at this conversation, the Pareto Logic seems to work but it does charge to recover stuff.

And Most importantly this one: Partition Wizard Boot CD worked amazing! Thank you so much Elvandil.

What I did for this program was I used the MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition v6.0
    I started off by using the Partition Recovery Wizard to recover the partition. Then i switched the partition status to active. I assigned the drive a Drive letter using Change Drive Letter. Now my drive works again. =]
    In all it took about 10 mins including the download and install.

Hopefully this thread is useful to someone else sometime.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1015560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice