Accidentally deleted Realtek HD Audio and can't get it back

HumpbackWhale45

I deleted the Realtek HD Audio driver AFTER having multiple problems with my sound on my pc. I thought if I deleted the driver and reinstalled it everything would be fine but instead, I've tried to download the driver from the Realtek website and it is not working. Now, I still have no sound and cannot reinstall the Realtek HD Audio driver. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
(BTW I have already tried resetting my pc with a fresh installation of Windows. Didn't work)

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
If your computer is a factory brand one, advise us what brand name and model name and model number and serial number it is.
If your computer is a self built one, advise us what brand name and model number its motherboard is.
Also advise us what Windows version and bit number your computer is running.

-------------------------------------------------

HumpbackWhale45

If your computer is a factory brand one, advise us what brand name and model name and model number and serial number it is.
If your computer is a self built one, advise us what brand name and model number its motherboard is.
Also advise us what Windows version and bit number your computer is running.

The brand is CyberpowerPC, the system model is MS-7B24, the product name (on amazon) is CyberpowePC Gamer Xtreme GXIVR8020A5 Desktop Gaming PC, and I think the serial number is MCWL553KANNCY1181503436

HumpbackWhale45

Also just as a bonus (which is most definitely a related issue) the High Definition Audio Controller cannot start.Annotation 2020-05-21 224619.png

HumpbackWhale45

Please download and run the TSG System Information Utility on the affected PC, and then post the results back to this thread.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200521101111.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 6
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Radeon RX 580 Series
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (821 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. B360M BAZOOKA (MS-7B24), ver 1.0, s/n I416777499
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n Default string
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
Concerning your image in post #7:
Click the "Details" tab and then click "Hardware Ids" in the drop-down list.
A number of strings with VEN_ and DEV_ as part of them will appear.
Submit an image of that window so we can see what those vendor and device codes are.
That will tell us the description of the audio device.
Note: If it is a Realtek audio device, it should have a vendor code of 10EC

------------------------------------------------

HumpbackWhale45

Concerning your image in post #7:
Click the "Details" tab and then click "Hardware Ids" in the drop-down list.
A number of strings with VEN_ and DEV_ as part of them will appear.
Submit an image of that window so we can see what those vendor and device codes are.
That will tell us the description of the audio device.
Note: If it is a Realtek audio device, it should have a vendor code of 10EC

OK here...
Annotation 2020-05-21 233803.png

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
That "High Definition Audio Controller" device has a vendor code of 8086
That means it's an Intel audio device (associated with the processor and motherboard) and not a Realtek audio device.

There should be another audio device in the Sound Games And Video Controllers heading in the Device Manager.
I need you to follow the same instructions for that audio device.

According to the specs you listed your computer has an MSI B360M BAZOOKA motherboard. It has an integrated audio. Its specs show this:
Audio:
Dual Realtek ALC887 Codec
* 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio

You need to get the audio driver from MSI not Realtek.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
If that motherboard does have an integrated Realtek ALC887 High Definition Audio sound device, the high definition audio(HDA) from Realtek should work fine.
The audio drivers at the motherboard's support site will become outdated, but Realtek will continue to provide updated drivers.
I use them all the time.
(y)

HumpbackWhale45

That "High Definition Audio Controller" device has a vendor code of 8086
That means it's an Intel audio device (associated with the processor and motherboard) and not a Realtek audio device.

There should be another audio device in the Sound Games And Video Controllers heading in the Device Manager.
I need you to follow the same instructions for that audio device.

Thanks for your help so far by the way
Annotation 2020-05-22 214816.png

HumpbackWhale45

According to the specs you listed your computer has an MSI B360M BAZOOKA motherboard. It has an integrated audio. Its specs show this:
Audio:
Dual Realtek ALC887 Codec
* 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio

You need to get the audio driver from MSI not Realtek.
Is MSI separate from Realtek? because I don't really know where to download the drivers from.

crjdriver

It is possible that the audio chip on the motherboard has failed. As a very simple test to see if the motherboard audio works or not, simply boot the system with a linux live usb. If the sound works under linux, then you know the hardware is ok. If the sound does not work under linux, the hardware has failed and no amount of drivers is ever going to fix the problem.
Use either linux MINT or linux ubuntu for this task.

Once you make the bootable usb, you will know in seconds where the problem lies ie hardware or software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online