1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally deleted some ME OS files, need advice

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by knabehudson, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knabehudson

knabehudson Thread Starter

Hi,

I was trying to manually uninstall a program from my computer, which runs Windows ME. Anyway, the instructions said to unhide files and folders so I could find all the files to delete to uninstall the program. Well, apparently, I accidentally deleted some basic operating system files.

Now I cannot start Windows. When I first turn the computer on, the first thing that comes up is a strange screen that starts counting down in seconds and says I have so many seconds to choose how to proceed. Option No. 3 is "Safe Mode," and it leads to a strange version of my screen saver with "Safe" written in all four corners. It seems like this mode is totally inert, you can't do anything.

Anyway, I tried all the other choices (I think there were 4) and none really went anywhere. But I did get a message saying a "System INI file is missing" and that I needed to "reboot with the original floppy" (or something like that) and then restore the system somehow.

Problems:

1. I can't find the reboot disk.

2. I doubt I can find the original installation disks

3. I'm thinking that all I really need to do is to get into the Recycle Bin somehow and start clicking on files and hitting "RESTORE" so they go back where they belong, until everything starts working again.

But how do I even get to where I can go in the Recycle Bin and start restoring files?

Any advice?

Thanks many times over for any help.

Trent

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. In safe mode, you should be able to restore to a good startup date. Have you checked that?

And the EXACT message would be helpful ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice