1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally deleted whole hkey_local_machine/software

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by threedollars, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. threedollars

threedollars Thread Starter

I accidentally deleted whole hkey_local_machine/software instead of just one registry folder. Of course, now computer won't boot properly - boots to a black screen with cursor (no matter which mode I use, safety, safety with command prompt, etc). I can't boot neither windows repair nor windows install disks.
    Is there any way I could recover/fix the lost registry keys? If not, is there a way to preserve at least some of my files? Willing to provide more info if necessary.

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

use a live dvd to boot into a linux distro and save all of the files you want before reloading the os. i would pick mint as the most user friendly, but a lot of people like ubuntu. just go download the iso and burn it to a dvd, then boot from the dvd player. very important that you don't choose install, just run it live. if you are unsure, read about it first, and if you have any questions, put them here and myself or another user will assist.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'll post this for anyone attempting to do anything in the registry: before you change a thing, make a backup of the registry or better yet, image the computer so you can restore it with the image.

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Did you try selecting "Last Known Good Configuration"?

5. jenae

jenae

Hi, I note you mention the windows install disk, if you have a copy of the OS dvd then you can fix this problem, you need to boot with the OS dvd in the drive (it is often necessary to open BIOS and change the boot order to cd rom drive as first option, save the setting and exit the BIOS).

When you boot from the OS dvd you can go past the language setup and select the "repair your computer" option, at this stage the system should run a startup repair, this includes a "last known good" and may well fix your problem.

Every time you successfully start your computer a file C:\windows\system32\config\RegBack creates a backup of registry hives, if startup repair fails to fix the problem then you can do so manually.

In the RE (repair your computer) you will see an option to open a cmd prompt, do this.

You will see a dos type window with an x:\sources > prompt.

At this prompt type:- (cmds in red)

bcdedit | find "osdevice" (exactly as shown here, the | is called a "pipe" and can be found above the \ key.

This cmd will tell us what drive letter the RE has assigned to the operating system (it is normally C:, however this is not always the case, the cmd will return:-

os device ... partition X: (where X is a drive letter lets assume it's C:, (if not change C: in the following cmds to what drive letter you see)

You will be back at the x: sources > prompt, here type:- C: (press enter)

Next at the c:\> prompt type:- cd c:\windows\system32\config\regback (press enter)

you will now be at the c:\windows\system32\config\regback > prompt, here type:-

xcopy c:\windows\system32\config\regback c:\windows\system32\config (press enter)

NOTE:- the syntax in these cmds are important (note the spaces)

Press A to indicate (ALL) when prompted when finished (only takes a moment) type exit (press enter) Restart computer and hope you get lucky... System restore probably won't help here.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1151024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice