1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally deleted

Discussion in 'Networking' started by janatribe4, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janatribe4

janatribe4 Thread Starter

I recently kept getting messages that I had low space on my disc...I went to the program list, and removed numerous things I thought were not used...I accidentally deleted drivers, or network card or something and now can get online at all....I contacted Dell Online Support, but since I couldn't remember who we got the computer from, they wouldn't help. Can anyone help me figure out what i did and how to fix it??? please????

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What does this have to do with Networking?

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    There should be a Dell service tag number label attached to the outside of the computer. Write the number down and go to the support area of the Dell web site at:
    http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Choose the service tag number option and enter the tag number. You will then have access to all of the downloadable divers and documentation for your computer's original configuration as it left the factory. The driver download section should have information on how to download and install the drivers. You will need to save the drivers to a memory stick or burn to a CD to load them onto the computer.

EDIT: You may want to check the computer's Hardware Device Manager control panel to see if you are missing any other drivers besides the ones for the network hardware.

4. janatribe4

I actually thought it fell under the topic of internet since that is what I am trying to remedy....you know, the fact that I cannot connect due to removal of programs I should not have deleted...

5. janatribe4

ok, i downloaded them to a memory stick but am stuck on how I get them to download to the laptop where they are needed

6. janatribe4

and i am unclear just how much I deleted that was actually needed and if the things I got from Dell are all I need

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Probably more Hardware, but we'll leave it here for now.

Have you tried System Restore?

8. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Before we get to that, did you delete the files by putting them in the wastebasket without emptying it or did you instruct Windows to remove the files from the drive? If they are still in the wast basket, you should just be able to restore them.

Otherwise, if the downloaded file have a .EXE extension, you may just need to run them to install the drivers. If they are Zip files, you may want to see if they unzip into multiple files that includes a TXT file with instructions.

9. janatribe4

I removed them regretfully...I am trying to unzip them now...access denied has been a response a couple times

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried System Restore?

11. janatribe4

system restore did not give me an earlier date from the moment i removed the programs

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you click "Use a different restore point" so you could see all of them?

You could still try the one listed if you have no others. Many programs make a point when they are uninstalled, so if you uninstlled programs, too, then the point may be from just before that. It can be easily reversed if it does not help. But it would be better to use one before that.

13. janatribe4

I have unzipped the files and downloaded what I can, but still no luck on getting back online....when i go back to the device manager, it still has a yellow exclamation on ethernet controller and network controller...when I click to update, it pops a screen up that says file missing

14. janatribe4

I tried clicking on it and it did nothing on system restore

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's beginning to sound like you deleted too much for Windows to continue functioning properly. You should never delete anything if you don't know what it is or does.

Your best option may be to go back to the state it was in when bought and reinstall your programs and updates.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice