1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally formatted my external hard drive.. :\

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AnthonyLordi, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyLordi

AnthonyLordi Thread Starter

I had 960/970GB full on it, and I accidentally overwrote it, trying to format my SD card, accidentally did my HDD..
    Is there a way to 100% recover it? :\

2. srhoades

srhoades

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Maybe yes and maybe no. Run data recovery software on the drive and see what you find. Remember you need to have at least the same amount of available space on the system on which you are running the software ie you will need at least 1TB of free space on which to do the actual recovery. You cannot recover files to the drive on which you are running the software.

There are a LOT of free apps that do data recovery however I use and recommend O&O disk recovery. It is not free however it does an excellent job.

This is just one of the many reasons why we stress backups SO much. With an image backup of the drive in question, it is a VERY simple task to restore the image and done.
    Data you do not backup is data you do not care about. All drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!