1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally made my External Hard Drive a Recovery Disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spinning, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spinning

spinning Thread Starter

Hi Everybody

Here is the scenario:

I was trying to remove the pre-installed Windows 8. I figured I should create a backup in case I ever have to go back to the piece of junk software. Anyway, I plugged-in my external hard drive to make the backup...

Here's the mess up:

It said 'formatting drive'. Within two seconds, I cancelled the operation and removed the hard drive.
    Now, when I try to access it (tried on 3 other laptops), it just shows the Hard Drive as Recovery Disk with some 20MB data and total 30 GB space.
    Disk management shows 890 GB unallocated space.
    It's a seagate 1TB backup drive. There was nearly 500 GB of data on it.

Do I need to use some data recovery program or is there another way. I don't think an entire hard drive can be formatted in 2 seconds.

Can someone please help. I can't stress enough how important the data on the drive is to me.

Regards

Stished

2. Dougx789

Dougx789

If I was you I would download a file recovery program onto your computer and recover as much data as possible onto your computer or another drive... don't save anything to the external drive as it may over write your data.

EaseUS data recovery wizard is good and free (at least a trail version which will recover the data) http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/

Good luck

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Run data recovery software on the drive and see what you can recover. Here is a link to another free data recovery app.
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva
    Remember data you do not backup is data you do not care about. ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail. With a backup of the data, it is a very simple matter to restore the data and you are done.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You should run at least two different recovery apps. Sometimes one will recover items that the other cannot.

6. alexjohnes

alexjohnes

No need to worry as some data recovery software's are available online that recover corrupted or deleted data from formatted or inaccessible hard drive. Such like a third party tool kernel for Windows data recovery is one of them that effectively recover data from hard disk.

7. scobareric

scobareric Banned

Download Data recovery sofware in your computer and recover your deleted or currupted files.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice