1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally shared whole hard drive

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Plaidscreen, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plaidscreen

Plaidscreen Thread Starter

Hi. I was just trying out the file sharing program SoulSeek for the last couple of hours. I guess I accidently shared my hard drive, because after I looked at the transfer page, I realized there were over twenty files that someone had downloaded off me that weren't in the folder I thought I was sharing. I also didn't recognize the name of any of the files. I am kind of worried. What is the worst that could have been downloaded. Should I start changing passwords for my e-mail, etc.?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is soulseek a P2P for copying music etc - if so then this will not get support from this forum - i dont know the program - let us know if its legal.

if you have shared you harddrive for anyone to access then they could have copied anything they wanted.

also if it is illegal filesharing then you will have loads of spyware on the PC as thats part of the deal......

3. TOGG

TOGG

There seem to be two distinct issues here and there clearly can not be any breach of this Forum's rules concerning file sharing programs. However, the post is concerned with the security consequences of having tried this program and not with getting advice to make it work 'properly'.

It seems to me that Plaidscreen should assume the worst, especially if he/she has ever used a credit card online, has used an autocomplete tool or has an online bank account. The product keys for the OS and other software could have been stolen to use for pirated copies and various passwords (pwl files) could have been taken, as well as e-mail etc.

If I were Plaidscreen, I would Google the list of files that were taken to find out what they are about and take appropriate action, once it is established what they contained.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice