1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidentally Uninstalled Important Yahoo! Hardware And Cant Recover

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by steve14625, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steve14625

steve14625 Thread Starter

a 'friend' of mine told me he could make my computer go faster by deleting many things out of my 'add/remove' files. there was a ton of yahoo! files (yahoo! mail, messenger, links, ect.)
    apperently now yahoo doesnt understand any commands i give it -
    example - i type in 'hotels' for the search engine and i should get 1 of like 500,000 responses but it comes back saying doesnt understand, check spelling/ capitalization.
    i also cant open any attatched e-mails.

basically something was removed and i cant recover it. can someone please help.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi steve14625

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

It doesn't sound like your friend did you any favors.
    It also sounds like they deleted items out of your directories and did *not* uninstall programs.
    Your mail files are not located in Add Remove Programs.

How long ago did this occur?
    What operating system are you using?
    What e-mail program do you use?
    Have you tried System Restore to see if that corrects the problem?

Let us know.

3. steve14625

steve14625 Thread Starter

This happened aboot a week ago - i've even call yahoo! personally -
    Im using Windows 98 and the e-mail program i'm using is yahoo! mail (if thats what you're referring to)
    lastly, i will definately try Systems Restore but if that doesnt work i may tweak out!

4. sekirt

sekirt

You don't have System Restore.

It's difficult to say what the damage was. Does your "friend" have any idea what was uninstalled/deleted? Possibly IE had some files removed? What version of IE do you have?

Try to repair IE. Start->Run. Type: msinfo32 Click OK. When System Information opens, click Tools and choose Internet Explorer Repair Tool. You may need your Windows 98 CD.

sekirt

5. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

If restoring IE doesn't help, you do have system restore (of a sort).

Restart in MSDOS Mode and type SCANREG /RESTORE and hit "Enter". Select a date prior to the start of the problem (but not the oldest date)...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!