Accidentally uninstalled printer driver

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ms Luvbug

I thought my printer wasn't working connected through a network (it was but just took a very long time) so I uninstalled the printer driver and then tried to re-install it, except when it scans for printers it doesn't find any and the only other option is to specify the printer name which I don't know. Is there anyway I can un-do what I have done (I have tried System restore and it didn't work) or can anyone help me reinstall it? It's a hp LaserJet 1010 series if that helps!

ETA: I have tried going to the control panel and adding a printer but when it searches for it nothing appears.

Can anyone pleeease help me?!

Can you clarify. Are you trying to add this as a network printer or a local printer on your computer?

Ms Luvbug

Network Printer. It's connected to a computer downstairs. It has worked perfectly until now. I've tried adding the printer through the control panel and it couldn't find it when it searched for it, and I've tried installing the driver again from the CD and it can't find it when it searches and I don't know the http address of it or its name or whatever I can input manually or how to find out! I really need to fix it and would be so grateful if you could help me!

On the PC that no longer has the printer install you should be able to type in \\computername (this being the computer that has the printer installed on it) in the run field and get printers and faxes and have it listed in there to right click and pick install.

As stump says, you should be able to add it even if it doesn't show up as a network printer (as long as it is shared on your network).

Go the other computer (where the printer is installed) and click on Start, Printers and Faxes and copy down the exact name of it. Then, right click on My Computer and under the Computer Name Tab you should see the computer name listed as "full computer name"write that down as well.

Then, when you add a network printer to the networked computer (choose network printer and Connect to this printer), you can actually type the name like this:

\\computer name\printer name

Where the computer name is the name of your computer and the printer is the name of the printer.

It really is not difficult. I have found that for whatever reason, sometimes neworked printers or other devices don't show when you browse for them even though they are there--but you can always add the name of the device manually.

Ms Luvbug

I have done what you said:

I went downstairs and copied down the computer name and printer name. I then put these into the 'network path or queue name' in the form you said above in the client set up for client server printing, and I tried it in the other option- basic network set up for a printer or server under 'Hardware'.

So basically it looked like this:

\\MYSURNAME-2731a17\hpLaserJet1010

I got an error message that said

'setup cannot connect to the network path. A network path contains a server name and a printer share name in the form: \\server_name\share_name

I'm not entirely sure my network with downstairs it working though and I have tried to set another one up but it doesn't seem to work either. Can you help with what I should do next?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online