1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accidently ran a fake .mp4 file. Anyway to trace it to it's intsallation path?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Joocoob, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joocoob

Joocoob Thread Starter

I should've been more careful and checked the extension of it but here's the story. I was downloading videos from YouTube and once downloaded, I obliviously clicked it. It's had no effect on my PC so far. I'm worried it will have an effect sooner or later.

I'll provide the link to the site (If that's any help) and a few details.

Site of suspected malware: hxxp://www.clipconverter.cc/

PC is custom built

TSG SysInfo Details: OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 19 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7360 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8570D, 768 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1907371 MB, Free - 1588583 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., A88XM-A
    Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus, Updated and Enabled

Is there any way to trace the installation path of this file?

I've tried going to the properties of the fake .mp4 file and denying all the permissions it had. That did not work.

Any help is greatly appreciated

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice