1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Account Unknown recreating after deletion

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Austinf, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austinf

Austinf Thread Starter

Ok, so this is my first post and I know it has been discussed before but I haven't been able to find anyone who has had this specific combination of problems. Very recently I noticed that the vast majority of my folders and documents have been shared with an account unknown (under my User folder Downloads, Favorites, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos). When I tried to remove their shared status from folders specific to my user, either when I restarted my computer or sometime before I didn't notice, the unknown accounts re-established themselves as new 36 digit SID's changing the very last digit by 1. While I do have a number of linked devices set up (network printer, bluetooth file transfer and motocast for my droid, MyBookLive network hard drive, and what was a linked xbox 360 through windows media player) they have all been formally set up and with the exception of motocast are recognized under devices and printers and their SID's have all been accounted for. I am worried as these accounts not only regain access after I explicitly remove them from the shared list but are given full control starting with a non-inherited permission the parent folder and then trickling down to all of the child folders. The for the unknown accounts is S-1-5-21-2703411083-689622830-********-1001 or 1002 etc. Also not sure how many other instances there are of this but ........-1010 for my pictures isn't flagged as Account Unknown (don't know if that helps). My OS is a legal copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, Windows Media Player, iTunes, you name it will not play .mp3 files. I'm not sure when this problem started (I started using Google Play some time ago) and all of my music was obtained by legal means (the majority bought through iTunes, a handful from Google Play and less than 10 from amazon and various independent dj's who offer their mix downloads free). I know that these files are not corrupt because for the short time that I was able to establish a connection between the laptop and xbox (couldn't connect through the wmp app on each but some level of connection was made) I was able to right click these unplayable songs, select 'play to -> xbox' and they would play just fine over the tv. Not sure if the audio errors are related to the original problem but as you could probably guess it's something I would like to try to fix. The connection problem between the two is mainly because of low bandwidth.

I've been able to remove many viruses, fix driver related issues and just about anything else in the past but I haven't been able to make any headway this time around. I understand how unknown accounts can come into play when users are deleted but I have always been the only user/admin. Even then I don't think this would explain the re-occurring SID's. As far as a non-malicious source goes my best guess would be a Google service, a network printer at a different location I used and then deleted continuously trying to re-establish a connection or motocast. Any help would be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice