1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

accounts

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rebon, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rebon

rebon Thread Starter

Can anyone explain to me about setting up a second account with hotpop http://www.hotpop.com/index.jsp pop3 and smtp.

I ask coz i dont know exactly how to do this. I went and created an account at the address shown but i expected there to be an inbox to retrieve my emails but i dont have one there.

So i read the FAQ and realised you have to set up the pop3 and smtp account with a server that allows you to do this.

I was hopeing there are some free ones out there where i could set up my new account, can anyone advise me of a good one if any that is.

i use windows xp and i use outlook express for my main emails, just wanted a second account to direct some mail to while keeping the main one for trusted sites and friends.

2. Moby

Moby

Why don't you use hotmail or yahoo, both web based e-mail which will have inboxes there on their sites rather than in your outlook express.

3. rebon

rebon Thread Starter

I tried hotmail MOlby but it seems real slow to me, reading the FAQ's they reckon a pop3 account is faster? Just dont know if there is any difference, coz i am not a tech guy.

Hoped i could find out about pop3 here:D

4. rebon

rebon Thread Starter

BTW Molby how long did it take you to drink all that wine:D

5. rebon

rebon Thread Starter

oopppss sorry i mean Moby :D

6. Moby

Moby

To set up that hotpop account go into outlook express. It depends how you want it to work. You can create a new identity for this e-mail address or you can have all the e-mails come in under your existing identity. This second option gets confusing though, so I would create an identity.
    In outlook express click
    File, identities, add new identity
    here you can give it a name, call it what you want, your name or hotpop for example
    Click ok, say yes to change to this identity
    The next box, I already have an e-mail address I want to use
    Type in your hotpop e-mail address
    next
    then in the incoming mail (pop) box type
    pop.hotpop.com
    In the other box (smtp) type
    smtp.hotpop.com
    next
    In the next page you need to type the user name and password you picked. User name is first bit of e-mail address, password - the one you picked when you signed up for the account (you also would have had these details at the end of the sign-up procedure)
    click finish and you are set up.
    You will have 2 identities in outlook express now, to change between the 2, file, switch identity.
    Then you can check e-mails for each identity. There are other settings you can change like which identity you want outlook express to open with for eg.
    Get this far first though
    Let us know how you got on.

The wine lasted about a month. ;)

7. Moby

Moby

You can of course get another e-mail address from your existing e-mail provider. Most of them allow 3-5 addresses. Exactly the same set up, pick an anonymous e-mail address etc. With this option you won't get any limits to the size or number of e-mails and you'll get no advertising which I notice you'll get with that free hotpop address.
    Just a thought.

8. rebon

rebon Thread Starter

Thank's Moby i seem to remember setting up 2 identities with my current isp but i could access the emails no matter which ID i used. They both had unique passwords as well so i thought they would work.

Thats why i thought a seperate pop account would maybe solve this prob.

Are you saying that i could use outlook express for both pop accounts all i have to do is follow the prosedure you explained.

So when i change identities outlook express knows which account to use for my emails. Even though in tools>accounts i will have one set as default, that being my main isp account.

hope i made this clear, coz im a bit confused about all this.

One month for the wine eh, thats good going.

9. Moby

Moby

You can use outlook express for both yes. Don't know what happened for the 2 identities you created. Reading it again, if you had one account set as default, it sounds like you would have had 2 accounts (not identities) under the same identity(not accounts)
    When you create the new identity as described with the details as described, that identity will only check the details of that account ie hotpop.
    As mentioned though, you could set up a new identity with any number of different pop accounts, or a new identity from any number of e-mail addresses got from the same e-mail provider that you have now.

I for instance have 3 e-mail addresses from the same e-mail provider (ntl) and one from virgin. They all have different identities, me/partner/joint/anonymous.
    To check the e-mails for each e-mail address you go into the identity for that e-mail address that you set up.

Again reading your reply it sounds like you had different e-mail addresses in the same identity (one being the default). Which is just confusing really to start with.

I now have a program called mailwasher. This can check the e-mails to all 4 identities/e-mail address at the same time. It allows you to bounce any spam/junk mail before you actually go into outlook express to get them proper.
    It's the ideal set up really is free and simple to use.

Get to the first stage first though and if you want to then move on to something like mailwasher then we'll go there next. It's easier by far, but at the moment so many extra words I've typed to confuse you.
    Shout if you want more, I'll take you through it step by step if you want .

And I had help drinking the wine.;)

10. rebon

rebon Thread Starter

Ok Moby think i got it this time, i was using the same pop account with my isp, but i had created another identity as you described, however (and it is now becoming clear) by using the same pop account from my isp i could access all mail to both accounts no matter which identity i signed in as.

So given if i get you right here using outlook express i can create a additional pop account HOTPOP in my case use seperate identities and passwords therefore giving the second user of this pc and myself of course a bit of privacy.

So when i boot up the pc and log onto outlook express it will ask for a password, i simply give it the correct password for the account i wish to use and it will give me access to the emails on that acount only. Additionally if the other user logs on to their account they will have access to their email.

Hope i got this right.

As for mailwasher i have it installed and find it great to use.

thanks for the help.:D

11. Moby

Moby

Yeah that's about it. One thing though, you're right if you don't ask it to save the password you can type it in each time you go into the identity, so only the one who knows the password can get e-mails. But remember, once the e-mails are downloaded anyone can see the e-mails. You only need to use the password to get new e-mails. Once got anyone can go into the identity to read them if not deleted.
    I think you've got it though.
    Still here if you haven't.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice