1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer 5100 Resource Conflict

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dj109, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dj109

Dj109 Thread Starter

Aspire 5100 Resource Conflict - PCI in slot 03 When starting the laptop it beeps twice then shows the following:

Phoenix TrustedCore NB
    Copyright 1985 - 2005 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

System BIOS Version V2.00
    Bus:06, Device:02 ,Function:00
    ERROR
    Resource Conflict - PCI in slot 03
    Bus:06 Device:04 Function:00
    ERROR
    Bus:06 Device:04 Function:01
    ERROR
    Bus:06 Device:04 Function:02
    ERROR
    Bus:06 Device:04 Function:03

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to Setup

The laptop is:
    Aspire 5102 WMLi
    AMD Turion 64x2
    TL50 (1.6GHz, 512KB L2 cache
    120GB PATA HDD
    4GB DDR2
    802.11b/g wireless LAN
    Windows 7

When I press F1 to resume the next screen asks to launch startup repair or start windows normally - I've done it both ways and the next screen either says loading files or starting windows depending on which chose I've made. It then hangs up sometimes showing 2 little windows or 4 of the windows.
    Doing searches I've come across pulling the battery & power cord then press power button for 1 minute, flash bios, update bios, check all conections inside are tight. I did disconnect the wifi wires and tried starting it - got the same error message except the first device was 01 instead of 02.

HISTORY: Around Thanksgiving time the computer would not start at all. I got a new battery (used from ebay) - that didn't work. Figured out it was the power cord - got another one and then it started up. About Christmas time I installed Windows 7 along with XP (dual boot). It worked for a couple of weeks - then the resource conflict started showing up. It will boot sometimes and most of the other times just get the conflict. Today it started up on a disk boot of windows 7 - so I did a clean install of windows 7 hoping that would fix the problem - messed around with it all day - checking that all drivers were updated - setting restore points every time I added a new program - it was restarting off and on as I was adding things. I shut it off for a while - went outside to plow snow - came back in and started it up and got the conflict screen again. Is it the hardware or somebody just not talking to somebody else the right way inside there?

Now when I use it sometimes it starts right up other times I have to let windows troubleshoot the problem and then it starts up. I have wifi and sometimes I can't get connected - I let windows troubleshoot that and 90% of the time it fixes it.

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

your problem is before/below windows, forget drivers and restore points, what is connected to PCI 3?? try changing IRQs and stuff in the BIOS, try disableing onboard resources 1 by 1,

I would also sudgest that you try removing the WiFi adapter all together, because taking off it's anteni dosent disable it, it could well be PCI 3 and also could be faulty. just get a usb wireless if it is the problem and you need wireless

cheers
    cybersloth

3. Dj109

Dj109 Thread Starter

I took the laptop to get repaired. No big box place - a good repair technician - who actually diagnoses the problem and not just replace parts. He found the port for the WiFi was bad. He installed a mini pc II card and now it is working. The only problem yet is it still starts up with the resource conflict message. I press F1 and it starts up and runs normally. He suggested I update the BIOS - but he said I would have to install XP to be able to update the BIOS. So that is the next thing I am going to do. So for now it looks like things are fixed. Thanks cybersloth for your response you hit it on the WiFi.

4. cybersloth

cybersloth

ok

strange that you need an OS to update the BIOS, usualy this is done with a bootable media; FDD, CDROM. check on the manufacturers (ACER) web site.

Also, did your tech remove the internal wireless adapter, if not removing it might fix the error.

please note that updating your BIOS can be risky, if this process fails it can leave the computer withought a working bios (that's realy bad). make sure that you have tryed resetting the bios first and that you are connected to reliable power during a BIOS update.

c..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/909209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice