1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer 5532 series can't restart?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barbara1, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barbara1

Barbara1 Thread Starter

I am attemping to restart my sons Acer 5532 series laptop - model # KAWG0 - windows 7
    I clicked F10 at startup but the screen message says

"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
    Copyright (C) 1997 - 2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.0.9(05/08/09)

Check cable connection!
    PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
    No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

I don't believe that this laptop came with a start up disk. I have tried removing the battery, restarting, F10 (and pretty much clicking ever button available) - but the message just keeps repeating. I remember a few years ago we restored this computer and my notes say that I clicked F10 at startup to do this. But unfortunately this isn't working this time.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance -

2. ajkane

ajkane

It looks like the laptop is set to boot on your LAN, which is probably not right. Either that or it coulden't find a boot on the hard drive so it checked the Ethernet adapter to see if there was a boot there. What it looks like is there is either HDD corruption, or the HDD isn't recognized by the BIOS. Try opening the boot menu and tell us what devices are listed.

3. Barbara1

Barbara1 Thread Starter

I think I am in boot menu - (sorry a bit new to this)

"Boot Priority Order:
    1. IDOE : WDC WD1600BEVT-22ZCTO
    2. IDE1 : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7580S
    3. USB FDD :
    4. Network Boot : Atheros Boot Agent
    5. USB HDD :
    6. USB CDROM :"

4. Hughv

Hughv

Your HDD isn't being found at boot. It may have failed or become disconnected. (Check cable connection).
    You could try re-seating the drive, but in most cases this means the dive has failed.

5. Barbara1

Barbara1 Thread Starter

Sorry - I need to ask you to dumb this down a bit for me - not too good with the technical terms.
    When you say to check the cable connection - do you mean the internet connection? this is wireless, the only cable I have is the power cord - which the power lite is on so I believe this is working properly.
    Also when you say the drive has failed - does that mean the computer is 'dead'? Re-seating the drive? Is that something I can do or is that for a tech guy?

6. Hughv

Hughv

Give me a better model number. Something like Aspire A*********

7. Barbara1

Barbara1 Thread Starter

Aspire 5532-5535 (MFG date 1001)

8. Hughv

Hughv

I can't find a manual on the Acer site, so your best bet might be to find a neighborhood Geek who can remove and replace the drive to verify it's seated properly. If so, you may need to replace the drive.

9. Barbara1

Barbara1 Thread Starter

is that an expensive thing ? this laptop wasn't that expensive and it is going on 2 years old - do you think it is worth it?

10. Hughv

Hughv

Checking the drive should be cheap enough, but replacing it might be $200.00 or so.
    If you don't need any of the files, it might be better to get a new one.

11. Barbara1

Barbara1 Thread Starter

ok - really appreciate the help - thanks so much
    Great response time :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1035585