1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer A0722-0473

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bbgarnett, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hello,

I noticed that this notebook will be on sale starting this Sunday at target for 198 dollars.

Acer A0722-0473 11.6" Notebook: AMD Dual Core 1.3GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Windows 7 Premium. They call it a notebook but I am not really sure if it should be considered notebook because it's so small.

Anyways I was just wondering if this was a good deal and or if it's even a good laptop. I'd upgrade the ram to 4 GB right away but still I mean how does it compare with say the Acer Aspire 4530 1.9 GHZ 2 GB ram that I bought for 126 bucks back in July. I can't go back to my specific one but this one is basically the exact same except mine only has 1.9 GHZ not 2.0 and only 2 GB ram not 3 GB and it only has an 80 GB hard drive not 320 GB also it had XP pro not 7 but that's besides the point.

So I was wondering which one is better since we are looking at getting another laptop or 2 actually but I was just wondering if it was worth it to buy the one at Target or even at least consider it or should we try and get another one of the 4530's or similar to it. My sister who is in 7th grade needs one for school and schoolwork so word and internet and online web browser based games and stuff. Also my older brother who is going back to Colorado wants a new or newer one than what he's got.

He has an Inspirion 1525 which has a Pentium Dual core processor 1.8 or 2 GHZ I forget, 2 GB ram and runs Vista and I just wiped it and did a complete OS re install but it's still just running sluggish and he mainly uses it for the Internet and listening to Music and watching movies maybe. Also he really notices it sluggishness when trying to watch youtube videos like he said he can't even do since it just is so slow. But mainly internet and music are his main concerns.

So we were thinking of getting again one of the 4530's or something similar that would be better than his that runs on a Pentium Dual core at either 1.8 or 2 GHZ. Anyways I think the Athlon X2 processors are better or faster then the Pentium dual cores.

So yeah sorry this is kind of long but hopefully you guys can offer some suggestions. Also would it make a big difference if I upped the ram to 4 GB on the Dell Inspiron 1525 and maybe put Windows 7 on there, would that help with any sluggishness or would even going back to XP be better or is it just time.

Thanks,

2. iRiguez

iRiguez

Well, what are you planning on doing on this laptop? For simple web browsing and email, it should suffice. Anything more then that, it won't really do you any justice by getting it.

3. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hey,

Ok well it'd be a little bit more than just simple web browsing and e-mail. Anyways I was thinking that it was pretty much not too powerful.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    All i can add to this is you get what you pay for. With that screen size it sounds more like a netbook rather than a notebook/laptop.As far as the inspiron you can add more ram but if theres no windows 7 drivers for it then you will have to use vista or xp on it.It might be running slow for other reasons not related to it needing more ram.

5. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

OK,

Wonder what other reasons could cause it to be running slow since I just did a fresh OS install.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's a netbook. It's cheap because there's little demand. You can get more powerful, larger full-fledged laptop for around $400.

7. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

OK even though they say it's a notebook it's really a netbook.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A netbook is a type of notebook. The term "netbook" has fallen out of favor.

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    To me personally a netbook is not much more than a toy suited better for kids as a first computer. For anyone else a full sized notebook/ laptop with at least a 15 inch screen is far better for most types of computing needs. But thats just my opinion.As far as it running slow it could be that theres a lot of things in there that might not be needed right now such as documents, pix, music, that can be saved to cds/dvds or a disk defrag and cleanup sometimes helps.Adding more ram helps if the computer can have some added if say it only has 512mb.

10. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

OK well he has 2 GB and it can have up to 4 GB whether or not that will make a noticeable difference compared to say upgrading from 256 to say 768 which makes a noticeable difference or 1 GB. I mean it just seems that after doing a fresh OS install it should run better and definitely not sluggish to the point where you can't even watch youtube videos. But do you think that having lots of pictures and music on the drive could/can make it run sluggish also what if the drive was upgraded to a larger/faster drive because I am pretty sure his is a 5400 RPM or something it's a 12- GB. Also he just told me that the computer is empty he didn't put anything back on it yet after I did the fresh OS install. So it's empty and he was trying to use it and it just ran so slow that he didn't wan't to do anything else with it. So I am just still wondering why a laptop that has nothing on it and has a decent amount of ram/ ok or decent processor runs sluggish after a complete wipe and re install.

11. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Well if its a fresh reinstall and plenty of ram and a big enough harddrive then im stumped.Hopefully someone else will have a better answer for you.

12. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

OK but yeah just weird that with nothing on it like it locks up even at the log in screen like he starts to type in his password and then 5 seconds later or more it finally types it all in and then it just locks up or when downloading a file I am in Firefox and I click save file and it locks up there and says not responding but then finally goes after a while. So I mean he said I can do whatever I want to it since he was like yeah I don't even care anymore especially since he has all his stuff backed up onto an external two actually. Also I have noticed that on the back there is a vent for the heat and fan and while it's not getting hot it is getting warm and the fan seems to at times be really screaming or whining kind of like an airplane just not as loud. The fact is though I am not really doing much to where the fan would need to go I was just either downloading a file or this time downloading a Firefox update. So maybe the fan needs replacing. It's not caked with dust or anything and it quite clean and free to my eyes so I mean could a fan that is going bad cause issues like this.

13. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Here is an attachment with an image of what the temps are of the laptop most all except the HD are quite high so could that be a factor. also on another note I guess the laptop has 3 GB ram installed and it's running Vista Home Basic 32 bit. also with there being nothing on the laptop why does it show that there is 21 GB used I mean there is no music or pictures or documents of any kind there is minimal software installed Firefox, Chrome, VLC Media Player, AVG 2011, CCleaner, Defraggler, Spyware Blaster, SpeedFan and Foxit Reader and that's all I've installed everything else that's on there was on there from the fresh OS install. but there is no bloatware or anything so why is there 21 GB used up already. I know he was having this problem before I did fresh wipe and so it would say he only had a few GB left on his hard drive which is 137 GB when he only had like 70-75 GB used so there was like 60 some GB that was magically disappearing so could there be a hard drive issue. it's I believe 150-160 GB total but 9.8 GB is allocated to the recovery drive.

Well I guess my windows folder has 14.7 GB used up

Attached Files:

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I have a 1525. It runs Win7 beatifully. It came with Vista, running Vista it is a dog. The Vista drivers will work with Win 7. The only thing is the Internet Homepage button does not work with Win 7. No big deal.

As far as the disappearing disk space goes. Run Disk Cleanup, More Options, Clean up Restore Points. This will remove all but the most recent Restore Point. These can accumulate and take up a lot of space on your disk.

15. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

alright that's something I'll have to consider since I actually think the specs to run Win 7 are less then for Vista.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice