Acer Aspire 1 722 notebook Hdmi port does nothing

plodr

Liz
We own and daily use an Aspire 722. It was purchased in August 2011 in PA.

I probably have the user manual if you need one.
The hdmi port is NOT a charging port. We use it to connect the 722 to a tv and watch a movie on a bigger screen.

I have not seen an hdmi connector used to charge anything. (Of course I learn something new daily)
I suspect the cable you have is to connect the camera to a tv so you can see the videos/pictures you took on the tv screen. It is NOT a charging cable.

Kodak went bankrupt in 2012. So you won't find much support for old hardware.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodak

My advice get a micro USB to USB cable and try that to charge the camera either using a wall wart or a PC.
https://www.amazon.com/USB-micro-5-Pin-Cable-Black/dp/B001QE23OK

Last edited:

Abie2

The HDMI port on a laptop is a graphics output that connects to an (external) monitor.
Now I am wondering if that is a HDMI port....it certainly does not look like a USB port. The userguide is senseless...you would think if they are introducing a product that they will show a diagram of each port and for what use. It doesn't. In that one plug which I thought is a hdmi port, my HDMI cable fits in it nicely, but like i said, the userguide mentions nothing about it.

Abie2

We own and daily use an Aspire 722. It was purchased in August 2011 in PA.

I probably have the user manual if you need one.
The hdmi port is NOT a charging port. We use it to connect the 722 to a tv and watch a movie on a bigger screen.

I have not seen an hdmi connector used to charge anything. (Of course I learn something new daily)
I suspect the cable you have is to connect the camera to a tv so you can see the videos/pictures you took on the tv screen. It is NOT a charging cable.

Kodak went bankrupt in 2012. So you won't find much support for old hardware.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodak

My advice get a micro USB to USB cable and try that to charge the camera either using a wall wart or a PC.
https://www.amazon.com/USB-micro-5-Pin-Cable-Black/dp/B001QE23OK
Thank you....your correct it is meant for to view on a TV. I only went by the manual of the camera that said "make sure you only use the Micro cable only for recharging the battery". I did recharge it with a usb cable, which also on the camera next to the micro hdmi port. Frank was nice to give me a link to download the manual, which I did, and of course, scanning through it i saw nothing mentioning anything about that hdmi port...correct me if i am wrong.

plodr

Liz
Go here and download the Quick Start Guide.
That shows all the ports
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/3658?b=1

I tried to split mine so you'd just have the few English pages but the site I normally use (and signed in to) now says it is too large and I have to pay.
I tried another site but the split size of under 10 pages still weighs in at close to 40MB!

Abie2

That shows all the ports

I tried to split mine so you'd just have the few English pages but the site I normally use (and signed in to) now says it is too large and I have to pay.
I tried another site but the split size of under 10 pages still weighs in at close to 40MB!
Thank you, what a surprise. I had to send those links to my acer notebook which now has Win 10. This is being written on my desktop. I see on that website they only mention Win 7, which i got when I bought it, but upgraded to Win 10....so who knows if what they say or offer would work with Win 10...but it would be cool to see the ports and that one hdmi port, and its function.

That shows all the ports

Open QG_ACER_1.0_ALL_AO722.pdf with with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
Select File > Print in menu
Printer: Microsoft Print to PDF
Pages to Print: 3-12
Select Print
File Name: QG_ACER_1.0_ALL_AO722 (English).pdf
Select Save.
Note this file is only 1.53 MB in size

Attachments

Abie2

I downloaded 2 files that I only saw. One was a large volume, and I opened it and all i saw were writeups on the usb ports, battery ....nothing about any other port. The file was a short file, suggesting what it sees on my system...bluetooth,network. The first one had about 1188 pages, but the English one went as far as page 61. I believe you said you have this same notebook, so i assume you see the same port I see on the left side of it. Have you ever used it or wondered about it?

Quick Start Guide
Download: QuickStartGuide_Acer_1.0_A_A.zip
Extract file: QG_ACER_1.0_ALL_AO722.pdf (294 pages)

I extracted the English language portion and posted it here previously.

Screenshots from Quick Start Guide:

1621126128195.jpeg
1621126136932.jpeg

Abie2

Thank you, that is more like it....with the previous download recommended by Liz did not give me such view. I like the way they identify hdmi port'. It is obvious that it is an output.

Thank you, that is more like it....with the previous download recommended by Liz did not give me such view. I like the way they identify hdmi port'. It is obvious that it is an output.
I did follow Liz's link to get the information I showed. I found this under Documents there:
1621176391734.jpeg

I downloaded that file. If you look at my Post #24 you will see the download for a English-only version of that I created. All I did was take the original download file and use Print to PDF in Adobe Reader to create it.
Note Print to PDF is built into Windows 10.

Abie2

I don't understand, I have tried each of those links from you, and Liz, but i do not get anything about a user guide. Later i went to your link and it says Win 10, and also I have to create account. Isn't there a site where I don't have to create an account to get notifications and etc.? BTW, I am using Win 7....still.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
HDMI ports do not carry power,
Actually, James, HDMI can, in fact, provide power, though at a lower power level than USB.

From hdmi.org:
"HDMI 2.1, Amendment 1 adds a new feature: HDMI Cable Power. With this feature, active HDMI® Cables can now be powered directly from the HDMI Connector, without attaching a separate power cable. This makes attaching and using active HDMI Cables as easy as using passive, wired HDMI Cables. To use the HDMI Cable Power feature, it is necessary to have an HDMI Cable which supports the HDMI Cable Power feature, and also an HDMI Source device which supports the HDMI Cable Power feature. This combination ensures that the active HDMI Cable can safely draw sufficient current from the HDMI Connector to power its internal circuitry."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online