Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acer Aspire 1 722 notebook Hdmi port does nothing

3K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  Abie2 
#1 ·
I am trying to recharge my Kodak sport camera with the hdmi/micro B/5 pin cable that came with it for the first time. My Acer has a Hdmi port and i am assuming its an out port, with the other end going into a micro hdmi input on the camera. I get no windows acknowledgement for win 7, nor win 10. Being an old notebook, i have no manual of the Acer and tried to download a copy, but most of them want you to set up an account with notifications, and i do not want it on those terms. Does anyone have an idea how i can get this done, my camera depends on it...according to the camera manual it should only be done with the cable they supplied.

#10 ·
The SNID is : 12511839916

As for the following replies, the user manual of Kodal Sport/Play camera SHOWN ABOVE is slightly different from the one I have, but should not make a difference as far as recharging. The cable i got with mine has one end, a DAEC HDMI AND THE OTHER END IS A MICRO HDMI. That is why I thought my HDMI port on my Acer was an input. I don't understand the logic of having a HDMI port as an output. Output from a computer? I have 3 usb adapter plugs, none of them is compatible to this cable I have and BTW, Kodak does not support this camera or any of their cameras as far as i know, cause they were the first one I tried to get the support from.

#8 ·
I'm not sure if your Kodak PlaySport camera came with the ArcSoft MediaImpression software.
It doesn't appear to be free, so you would need to obtain and use a trial version.

Once we have your Acer's SNID number and can hopefully locate its support site, there should be a link to its user's manual.

-------------------------------------------------

#9 · (Edited)
Just to chime in and reiterate some points:

You mentioned that you want to recharge your camera. You are also mentioning the HDMI port/cable. You didn't confirm the exact model of the camera, but I suspect the one mentioned in the link Frank provided is the one. From what I read, the camera does come with an HDMI cable, but that is to plug into a HDMI In port on a monitor/TV.

HDMI ports do not carry power, so you will not be able to recharge your camera that way. Also, the HDMI port as you correctly stated are HDMI Out only on laptops, so unless the ports on the camera are in ports and the camera is on, Windows will not detect the camera.

If you need to charge the camera, falling short of using the wall charger that the battery connects to as indicated by Liz's post, then the cable you would need is the USB -> MicroUSB judging by the pictures. If the camera is not showing it's being charged by the computer, plug it into a USB/AC adapter to the wall. If you do not have one, then they are not expensive to get one. If the camera is still not charging then you would need to go to Kodak for assistance.

#30 ·
HDMI ports do not carry power,
Actually, James, HDMI can, in fact, provide power, though at a lower power level than USB.

From hdmi.org:
"HDMI 2.1, Amendment 1 adds a new feature: HDMI Cable Power. With this feature, active HDMI® Cables can now be powered directly from the HDMI Connector, without attaching a separate power cable. This makes attaching and using active HDMI Cables as easy as using passive, wired HDMI Cables. To use the HDMI Cable Power feature, it is necessary to have an HDMI Cable which supports the HDMI Cable Power feature, and also an HDMI Source device which supports the HDMI Cable Power feature. This combination ensures that the active HDMI Cable can safely draw sufficient current from the HDMI Connector to power its internal circuitry."

#13 ·
It's possible because of the Acer Aspire One 722 netbook's age that Acer support no longer has its SNID number in its database.

THIS is the download link for that netbook's user manual.
It's in .ZIP format, so its contents need to extracted after it's downloaded and saved.
It's in .PDF format, so Adobe Reader or some other PDF reader is needed to open and view it.

Page 33 of its user manual shows it having a USB2 port for connecting a camera.
Capture.JPG

-------------------------------------------------

#17 ·
Now I am wondering if that is a HDMI port....it certainly does not look like a USB port. The userguide is senseless...you would think if they are introducing a product that they will show a diagram of each port and for what use. It doesn't. In that one plug which I thought is a hdmi port, my HDMI cable fits in it nicely, but like i said, the userguide mentions nothing about it.

#16 · (Edited)
We own and daily use an Aspire 722. It was purchased in August 2011 in PA.

I probably have the user manual if you need one.
The hdmi port is NOT a charging port. We use it to connect the 722 to a tv and watch a movie on a bigger screen.

I have not seen an hdmi connector used to charge anything. (Of course I learn something new daily)
I suspect the cable you have is to connect the camera to a tv so you can see the videos/pictures you took on the tv screen. It is NOT a charging cable.

Kodak went bankrupt in 2012. So you won't find much support for old hardware.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodak

My advice get a micro USB to USB cable and try that to charge the camera either using a wall wart or a PC.
https://www.amazon.com/USB-micro-5-Pin-Cable-Black/dp/B001QE23OK

#19 ·
Thank you....your correct it is meant for to view on a TV. I only went by the manual of the camera that said "make sure you only use the Micro cable only for recharging the battery". I did recharge it with a usb cable, which also on the camera next to the micro hdmi port. Frank was nice to give me a link to download the manual, which I did, and of course, scanning through it i saw nothing mentioning anything about that hdmi port...correct me if i am wrong.

#23 ·
Thank you, what a surprise. I had to send those links to my acer notebook which now has Win 10. This is being written on my desktop. I see on that website they only mention Win 7, which i got when I bought it, but upgraded to Win 10....so who knows if what they say or offer would work with Win 10...but it would be cool to see the ports and that one hdmi port, and its function.

#25 ·
I downloaded 2 files that I only saw. One was a large volume, and I opened it and all i saw were writeups on the usb ports, battery ....nothing about any other port. The file was a short file, suggesting what it sees on my system...bluetooth,network. The first one had about 1188 pages, but the English one went as far as page 61. I believe you said you have this same notebook, so i assume you see the same port I see on the left side of it. Have you ever used it or wondered about it?

#28 ·
I did follow Liz's link to get the information I showed. I found this under Documents there:
Font Rectangle Eyelash Art Magenta

I downloaded that file. If you look at my Post #24 you will see the download for a English-only version of that I created. All I did was take the original download file and use Print to PDF in Adobe Reader to create it.
Note Print to PDF is built into Windows 10.

#29 ·
I don't understand, I have tried each of those links from you, and Liz, but i do not get anything about a user guide. Later i went to your link and it says Win 10, and also I have to create account. Isn't there a site where I don't have to create an account to get notifications and etc.? BTW, I am using Win 7....still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.