1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire 3694 laptop keeps cutting out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jobec, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jobec

Jobec Thread Starter

Hi, I've got an Acer Aspire 3694 with 2GB RAM running Windows Vista Basic with SP1. I mostly use it for work, I'm a translator so it's just Word (Office 2007), Windows Mail and then quite a few browser windows. But no resource-hungry stuff. Mostly I sit in the same place so run it off the power cable because the battery only lasts an hour. However lately it's been cutting out without warning while I'm in the middle of things. Then I seem to get power lights eventually if I twiddle about with the power supply point, but have to reboot. It does feel quite hot on my legs and I was wondering if this is because of overheating? Or a faulty power supply? Or lead? Anyone suffered the same or got any ideas? I think I invalidated its guarantee as I upgraded the RAM (Acer were a bit stuffy about that). What could I try? Thanks for any help because it's most disconcerting (and sometimes I end up having to redo stuff). Jobec

2. Megabite

Megabite

First of all you need to keep the intake vent and extractor fan clear of obstruction..if it get hot it will shut down to save the CPU.

Another problem maybe the power jack could be loose as it is a common fault on laptops as the power jack gets knocked a few times and breaks it from the motherboard.

3. Jobec

Jobec Thread Starter

Hi thanks for that. I wonder about the power jack. How easy would it be to replace the power unit inside the machine? Or do you think it could just be the lead? I suppose it wouldn't be very easy to mod the cooling on a laptop? I used to do translations about desktop mods and I remember one super-cooled one that looked more like a fish tank :D

4. Megabite

Megabite

They do laptop coolers that fit on the bottom and are very good.

As to wether it is the cable or power jack which is soldered to the board...I would suspect the power jack at a guess.

5. Jobec

Jobec Thread Starter

Any tips where to get laptop coolers? And can you swap the power jack off the board easily?

6. Megabite

Megabite

7. Jobec

Jobec Thread Starter

I'm in the UK so Amazon.co.uk is a great option for me. As regards the power jack thing, how could I diagnose whether it is actually that? Thanks.

8. Megabite

Megabite

Set your laptop up and put something underneath it to raise it up on a flat surface, about the height as a thick book. Make sure you power chord is plugged in and working and don't move it at all and run the PC.....see if it shuts down......if it does it could be a heat issue.
    Also try turning the PC on and wiggle the power chord near where it attaches to the laptop to see if it goes off.

How old is the laptop?

9. Jobec

Jobec Thread Starter

Just under a year.

10. Megabite

Megabite

Is it still under warranty?

11. Jobec

Jobec Thread Starter

I think we invalidated it by upgrading the RAM ourselves. Although I suppose we could put the old RAM back in. And they were quite awkward when we asked them about upgrading it too, they said they could do it but we had to pay £40 to send it, and then whilst they held onto our machine for an unspecified amount of time they were going to let us know how much it might cost. If we decided not to go ahead it would still have cost £40 and we'd have been without it for several days at best. I'd kind of assumed that if you go for a £300 laptop then the guarantee is probably rubbish...

12. Megabite

Megabite

Yes you would have to pay the bench fees and so forth. It may also be the power supply it self......but trial and error with the tests above to know better.

13. Jobec

Jobec Thread Starter

Thanks loads, I'll let you know how I get on. Jo

14. Jobec

Jobec Thread Starter

I just ordered a laptop cooler and also downloaded a utility called Smartfan so I can see if the core temp is too hot. At the moment it says 64 degrees (Celsius) but I haven't got much open. At least I will have cool legs, and will be able to see if it's overheating that's causing it or not...

15. Megabite

Megabite

Nice one........did you mean speedfan?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/726258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice